Question Games constantly crashing ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 26, 2021
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x
Memory: 2x16 3200
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060
Motherboard: ROG STRIX x-570-F Gaming
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB
Storage: 1TB HDD + 1TB M.2
PSU: Corsair 750W

(If you need anything else please let me know)

So I've been having constant crashing issues, even before my upgrade I had a RX580 which also had crashing on various games.

with my RTX 2060, the games that crash or; Fortnite, Black Ops 2, Hitman 2, Shadow of the tomb raider, Escape from Tarkov (these are the games off the top of my head.)
Games that dont crash; Valorant, Warzone (again these are the games of the top of my head.)

If tried every "fix" in the book;
Clean install of windows,
Install up to date GPU drivers,
Using DDU to remove old drivers,
Using regedit
Removing OC ( I havnt OC anything other than the DOCP profile for my RAM, which I also removed and that did not fix anything.)

This is my first time posting anything, I'm actually flabbergasted with this issue, I've literally been on every website and youtube video that says "FIX".

Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with crashes or anything but I constantly see these error messages in the event viewer;
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}

I've done everything it says online to try and stop these errors yet they dont go away, It seems like I don't have full control over my PC, I dont know how to describe it but It feels like my pc is setup in a way that its meant to be apart of one big hub, similar to a school computer where you cant do certain things. Just seems weird that I dont have access to things on my own computer.

Thank you for the help and let me know if you need anything else.

Last edited:

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Ok, so the first method did not work but the second did, I have now managed to change the permissions of the folder.

Regarding the Voltage monitoring, ive done all the steps correctly but the OSD doesnt show on my game, I tried to see if anything else would and the GPU usage, temp ect appears fine. Not sure why the voltages wouldnt be appearing?

on a side note: I would like to thank you for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it mate.
Not a problem Calquat always happy to try and help.

Can you try running Fortnite now as permissions applied.

can you check both options in general tab of msi afterburner

unlock voltage control
unlock voltage monitoring

restart msi afterburner

U might have to uninstall and reinstall MSI Afterburner for it to work. Check boxes again at first startup

Last edited:

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
I tried to play Fortnite again after applying the full permissi
Hi Calquat,

can you install
run it abd check the voltages for your PSU

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Dec 26, 2021
Hi Thomas,

I do not have another PSU unfortunately, would you suggest I buy a new one?

also, ive played a game of fortnite and I played for roughly 30 mins and it crashed.

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Hi Thomas,

I do not have another PSU unfortunately, would you suggest I buy a new one?

also, ive played a game of fortnite and I played for roughly 30 mins and it crashed.
I don't want to make assumptions Calquat without knowing for sure.

Don't won't to tell you to purchase something you may not need.

GPU tested normal
RAM tested Normal
HDD and SSD tested normal
CPU tested normal
PSU only hardware not tested.

Can I get you to remove both sticks of RAM and only insert 1 stick in to slot A1 and test with Fortnite.

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
I've removed one of the sticks and I've played one game without a crash, I will continue to play and let you know if anything happens.
Hi Calquat,

Thanks for update

If you play without any issues please try swapping RAM stick and test again if it crashes RAM issue replace module that system crashes with.

if it doesn't fail then please go DOCP and set profile to 3000Hz and test with both modules installed.

Dec 26, 2021
I crashed on the second game after about 20 mins, do you want me to put the other RAM stick in and try that, I also forgot to mention that this RAM is quite new, I bought it because my other ram 2x8 sticks were quite old, and i thought that that was causing the crashes.

I dont know if this matters or not either but I thought I would let you know anyway, I have 2 monitors, one connected via display port and the other with HDMI. again not sure if this matters or anything.

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
I crashed on the second game after about 20 mins, do you want me to put the other RAM stick in and try that, I also forgot to mention that this RAM is quite new, I bought it because my other ram 2x8 sticks were quite old, and i thought that that was causing the crashes.

I dont know if this matters or not either but I thought I would let you know anyway, I have 2 monitors, one connected via display port and the other with HDMI. again not sure if this matters or anything.
[/

Last couple of things to try and then I am myself stumped and recommend you take it to a computer shop for a check over.

Do you have gsync enabled in DP monitor?

If so then please remove HDMI cable and test with just the Display Port monitor.

Dec 26, 2021
Yeah my main monitor is HDMI purely because of the length of cables, also my GPU only has a single HDMI and DP. (It also has a VGA but...)

What would be the issue if it is one of the monitors, would it be something that I would be able to fix. Also could it be a bad cable that cause this maybe? Like a damaged HDMI cable OR DP cable?

ThomasHoey

Honorable
Jun 20, 2017
Yeah my main monitor is HDMI purely because of the length of cables, also my GPU only has a single HDMI and DP. (It also has a VGA but...)

What would be the issue if it is one of the monitors, would it be something that I would be able to fix. Also could it be a bad cable that cause this maybe? Like a damaged HDMI cable OR DP cable?

GSync defo doesn't run on HDMI that's why option isn't available.

It could be a faulty cable.

Please test gaming just one monitor with other one disconnected.

How do you have them setup

Duplicated, extended?

Dec 26, 2021
I have my main monitor in front of me which is the 144hz 27 inch, then to my right is my 75hz 27 inch. they are extended display. Which one would you want me to play on?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
If it was the cables, you would not be able to use task manager because the screen would be black.

From the initial post I'd have thought drivers or RAM issue, but Tom's already covered all those 👍

What is your EXACT ram ?

Dec 26, 2021
If it was the cables, you would not be able to use task manager because the screen would be black.

From the initial post I'd have thought drivers or RAM issue, but Tom's already covered all those 👍

What is your EXACT ram ?

I am running:
Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4W 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 32GB (16GB x2), CL16, White

Dec 26, 2021
When you say they are extended are you running it on 144Hz with the 75Hz monitor too?

Run it on the main 144Hz monitor

My main monitor Is running 144hz, the second monitor is set to 75hz.

Again, not sure if this is relevant or not but in the control panel I had to set a custom resolution for the second monitor, the actual resolution is native 1920x1080, but for the hz I changed it to 75 because thats what my monitor is.