[SOLVED] Games could not install on SSD where the OS is located

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, my windows 10 pc has an SSD where the OS is located, it also has an HDD which serves as extra storage.

months ago, things were fine, downloaded games could install into the SSD.

recently, I started encountering "unable to write to disk" error when installing to the SSD,... quite sure the games are not corrupted, because the error message is the same for whatever I try to install. And also, the games could install into the HDD just fine. Do I need to turn off something in Windows Defender? or try installing game in safe mode with internet turned off? Something in the OS is blocking things from getting installed.

my version of windows 10 is 1909 with the final updates to it.

2fztn0.jpg

Solution
  1. Why still stuck on v1909? 2 years out of date, and unsupported.
  2. What are the FULL specs of this system?
  3. How full are the drives in question?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@rgd1101

sorry, I just found the problem. The problem is my strict NOD32 antivirus, it was the one blocking the installs. Updated it to another version and games can install fine now. lol

SSD is not even half full, can create txt, bmp just fine. It was just the antivirus blocking stuff.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@USAFRet

1. The reason for still having 1909 is because experienced SRTtrail error sometime ago (thread for reference... https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/help-bad-system-config-unable-to-go-into-desktop.3726825/). I suspected it was caused by a Windows update... after resolving the problem, I disabled updates.

2. GPU: MSI GTX 1050ti, CPU: i5-2500k, memory: 32GB Kingston, OS: Windows 10, Primary storage where the OS is located: 480GB Patriot Burst, Secondary storage: 297 GB Samsung HD322HJ

3. SSD is almost half full, HDD is half full.

Last edited:

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
hmm, then I will probably resort to the backup plan of using the HDD as boot device by installing a fresh W10 into it. Grab important game files from SSD, then do a clean install of W10 on SSD. A bit of a tiresome chore, but should work in case a system restore fails in the event of an Srttrail error on the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
hmm, then I will probably resort to the backup plan of using the HDD as boot device by installing a fresh W10 into it. Grab important game files from SSD, then do a clean install of W10 on SSD. A bit of a tiresome chore, but should work in case a system restore fails in the event of an Srttrail error on the SSD.
Too much stuff going on there, with install here, install there....
I see many points of fail.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
You can't, and should not, avoid updates forever.

Find the actual problem, and fix that.

reporting back here after about a month. You were right, updating Windows 10 is the right choice.

did not get srttrail error when I let the pc update. So it was another thing that caused my gaming pc (on sig) to get the srttrail error a few months ago.

Reactions: USAFRet