[SOLVED] Games CPU speed and laptops CPU speed

Jan 10, 2020
I’m new to the pc gaming environment and I’ve noticed that games have a recommended speed for CPUs to be around 3.2 GHz or an arbitrary speed. I’m looking at laptops to use for occasional gaming and they list an Intel i7 CPU at 2.6 GHz for their base speed and up to 4.2 GHz. Will those laptops be able to run the games advertised at 3.2 or higher than the laptops base speed?
This is probably a basic question but I haven’t been able to find an answer.

Solution
I’m looking at laptops to use for occasional gaming..
So your priority is work?
If the primary aim is actually gaming, I suggest avoiding those thin gaming laptops. It may not happen right away, but they all seem to eventually run into thermal issues.

2.6 GHz for their base speed and up to 4.2 GHz
Those advertised boost speeds are applicable only on a single core/thread. Boost speeds on all cores won't be as high, but still higher than the base speeds.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I’m looking at laptops to use for occasional gaming..
So your priority is work?
If the primary aim is actually gaming, I suggest avoiding those thin gaming laptops. It may not happen right away, but they all seem to eventually run into thermal issues.

2.6 GHz for their base speed and up to 4.2 GHz
Those advertised boost speeds are applicable only on a single core/thread. Boost speeds on all cores won't be as high, but still higher than the base speeds.

Solution