Question Games crash after 10 minutes ?

Stefano G.

Prominent
May 31, 2022
i got an extremely old gpu, the r9 280x, but it is still enough to run apex legends at 80 fps, but valorant and league of legends make my whole pc crash after 10 minutes of playing. is there any way to fix it?

specs: CPU: ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: radeon r9 280x
Mobo: asus prime b450-plus
ram: corsair vengeance 16gb 3000mhz

Stefano G.

Prominent
May 31, 2022
what is your PSU and how old is it?

usually, game crashing is caused by psu.

it's comparable to a 1050ti, r9280x is still a decent gpu for playing certain games.
i bought this pc from a guy that has a pc shop, the psu is unknown, i searched it on google and there were two results, it is a 650w psu from maxima power, but i don't know the age

nThHvGV.png

Do you live in Italy? maybe find a 750W new or newer model PSU for your system. Generic PSU models like yours tend to have a relatively shorter lifespan when put under wattage stress (gaming with a video card)

Suggestions you can look into if you know how to (especially #3.)
  1. make sure the fans are clear of debris video card and PSU alike (vacuum and wipe down)
  2. make sure the radiator fins on your video card are clear of debris (vacuum and wipe down)
  3. possibly due to the age of the video card you may need to refresh (replace) the Thermal Paste on the video card CPU.

Last edited:

Stefano G.

Prominent
May 31, 2022
nThHvGV.png

Do you live in Italy? maybe find a 750W new or newer model PSU for your system. Generic PSU models like yours tend to have a relatively shorter lifespan when put under wattage stress (gaming with a video card)

Suggestions you can look into if you know how to (especially #3.)
  1. make sure the fans are clear of debris video card and PSU alike (vacuum and wipe down)
  2. make sure the radiator fins on your video card are clear of debris (vacuum and wipe down)
  3. possibly due to the age of the video card you may need to refresh (replace) the Thermal Paste on the video card CPU.
thanks and yes, i do live in Italy, how did you know? lol

Failure after a time smacks of a temperature problem.
Either cpu or gpu.
Start hwmonitor and look at the max cpu and gpu temperatures.
Take the case side cover off and direct a house fan at the innards; see if that helps.

Junk power supplies get lots of criticism, and rightly so.
But I would expect power issues to start just as soon as the game starts to draw added graphics power, not 10 minutes later.