Question Games crash and cause other programs to crash

Kevsta

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
So this has been bothering me A LOT this past week. Ever since I upgraded to a 1440p 144hz monitor, my computer has been acting up. Even before this happened, I occasionally had a single flash of gray "artifacting" across my screen (this happened very rarely).

The main problem: When I launch a game, such as Modern Warfare or F1 2019, the game just closes without any warning or error message. Call of Duty occasionally gives me a "Memory Error 0 1749", but Google shows me nothing about that. This also happens with Halo: Reach, where I'm playing, and it says the game has encountered a fatal error and has closed.

Whenever these crashes occur, often times Discord disconnects and EVGA PrecisionX closes as well.

My prediction: So I am leaning towards a problem with memory? I ran Memtest86 for a few passes, but no errors popped up. I did have blue screens before, but those happened very rarely. My storage drives are all in good health, CPU passed IntelBurnTest, and GPU runs fine on Heaven Benchmark. Could my motherboard DIMM slots be messed up?

What I have tried:
  • I have run Memtest86 and encountered no errors. Maybe not enough passes.
  • Tried different GPUs and still run into the same problem of games unexpectedly quitting/crashing.
  • Tried memory one stick at a time (didn't work). I also tried a RAM stick in the first DIMM and the system wouldn't even post?
  • I have uninstalled all display drivers using DDU and reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers
System specifications:
  • i7 8700k
  • ASUS Z370F
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB (Non pro)
  • EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3
  • EVGA G2 750W Power Supply
Please help me with this, I've spent all week trying to trouble shoot this computer and finals are next week. I'm going crazy.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
How many passes did you get through on Memtest86? How old is your PSU? What GPU did you replace the 1080Ti with to rule out your GPU isn't at fault? Which version of Windows 10 are you on and are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?

Kevsta

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
How many passes did you get through on Memtest86? How old is your PSU? What GPU did you replace the 1080Ti with to rule out your GPU isn't at fault? Which version of Windows 10 are you on and are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?
  • I went through around 8 passes of Memtest86
  • My PSU is around 1.5 years old
  • I replaced the 1080Ti with a EVGA GTX 1060 SC2 3GB
  • Windows 10 Home Version 1809
  • There was a new BIOS released July this year, should I update?
Also, the search bar at the bottom sometimes becomes unresponsive, so I have to restart Windows Explorer via Task Manager. What is this a symptom of?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS