SamForte87

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
PSU: Corsair RM650x

So this problem started a couple weeks after I built this computer. This was about a year ago, all games would crash to desktop, usually without a warning message. Sometimes it would display a windows error message about the display drivers not working. A month ago I replaced the GPU in hope that this would fix the problem. It didn't, however I no longer get the occasional error about my display drivers. Next I assumed that it must be a PSU issue, thinking that maybe the old GPU was ruined because of a bunk power supply. So I replaced the PSU soon after getting the GPU. I've also run a memory test without issues, and HWMonitor reports my components running at a normal temp, GPU: 46-72C CPU: 31-60C.
I've removed the old drivers from the old GPU, and all my drivers are current. I've also updated my MOBO BIOS.

The problem now only occurs during gameplay when it crashes to desktop. It happens very infrequently, maybe once a day, which is why I've waited so long to fix this.

I'm just about at the end of my rope in regards to this problem, and I'm hoping someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Solution

Yes. After this if there are problems we can go to the next step in a systematic manner.

SamForte87

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
As far as I can tell the Rmx that I just put in is the same as an RMI, a tier one psu. The only difference seems to be the fan and lack of a digital display. I could still return the Rmx it just doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to go to the RMI. Just looking to see if that sounds right or not.

Tier 1 or tier 2 are great. And even in the best of products there could be a small percentage of bad ones. Try to RMA and get a replacement. That will be fine.