[SOLVED] games=crash. sleep mode=crash ???

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
Last week my like 5 year old pc started crashing while gaming. first time was alt tabbing between chrome and destiny 2. pc wouldnt start up until the switch on PSU was flipped off for a couple seconds and then back on. error message when turning it back on said: chassis intruded fatal error system halted. wont let me past that so i always have to turn it off and then back on. so then it loads up fine. NEVER had to do that before (it hasnt crashed in about a year). but the problem happened twice in a row. second was having chrome up and then launching the game, JUST getting to the loggin part of destiny 2, pc crashes. i gave that a break and just used pc to watch youtube. put it in sleep mode over night. i wake up go to turn it on, nothing. flip the PSU off and back on and its got the same error message.

since then ive been able to play destiny 2 like 5 out of 10 attempts. and a few times with chrome running. but today its crashing every time i just try to play destiny 2. even tried overwatch. no dice.

cant remember what all software tests ive done but i remember checking for file system errors. virus/malware scan. couple others. found nothing. windows and graphics card drivers are up to date. spent many hours googling this and cant find anyone with exact same issue.

i have not moved or opened the pc in several months until this happened. theres a light amount of dust in there. other than that idk what im looking for. i dont have any experience messing with the BIOS or problem solving hardware. so i figured itd be best to ask questions before potentially doing permanent damage...i will admit i have punched the side of this thing a number of times over the last year to get the fan to be quiet, but not in like the last month and all the fans have been working just fine.

any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. sorry if i posted in the wrong area. never done this before.

Windows 10
MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AMD FX-8320E
GPU: MSI R9 270X

Edit: a new cmos battery worked, temporarily.
but there was slow loading in games. its back to crashing everytime i try to play destiny 2. the new crash is kinda odd. still when im loading up the game. but once its crashed, pc like doesnt wanna start. i have to turn PSU off for longer, like 10-15 seconds, then back on and hold the power button for pc to start. once its turned on, it takes like 10 times longer to get past the loading windows part of the boot. then it auto logs me in and then the desktop like normal. the slow load seems weird to me so i shut it down and boot it back up and all loads up normally, instead of slow. i dont know if that info helps but figured id mention it.

Last edited:
Solution
The battery powers the cmos chip, the chip holds in memory all the configurations set up for the computer and keeps the internal clock going. So a failing cmos battery would not allow the motherboard to properly remember your settings and all settings, and interfere with a smooth posting up of your computer.

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
NZXT Phantom full tower. theres no numbers next to the word phantom on the original box..but its white if that helps. Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18362.476

oh and ive had the crash during sleep mode happen again. its 2 seconds or less after telling it to wake back up..i didnt have my screeen on during that so cant report any funny business there.

Last edited:

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
Did exactly as you said. After setting bios to defaults, i completely loaded up the desktop and tried destiny 2 again but exact same thing happened once more. PC crash and chassis intruded message.

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
Coming out of sleep mode crash happened again. idk if it helps but, when that crash occurs and after i get past the chassis intruded message n such it loads up until the point of logging in and w/e was opened like chrome, is still up. so it loads back up as if i were returning from sleep mode normally, even tho it had just crashed to the point of needing to flip the switch on the PSU off and then back on inorder to power back on. seems weird

ok go in to your bios and check to see if you can find any kind of subject line relating to chassis intrusion alarm.
On older pc's there is an actual sensor that lets you know your computer door is open. It was used really for corporate settings to prevent workers from messing with the inside of the computers. If you do find it disable it.

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
ok go in to your bios and check to see if you can find any kind of subject line relating to chassis intrusion alarm.
On older pc's there is an actual sensor that lets you know your computer door is open. It was used really for corporate settings to prevent workers from messing with the inside of the computers. If you do find it disable it.

i went thru it 3 different times. didnt find anything with that specifically but there was an anti surge protection thing enabled..idk. ill look thru it again when i get home from work.

Ok so if you said in your description that you had punched the computer a few times. With the computer unplugged, inspect in the area you had punched and see if any of the metal case is touching any part of your motherboard. In fact just check all round the motherboard to make sure the metal is not touching anywhere on the motherboard.

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
And last but not least replace your cmos battery with a new one. Since it is five years old, and it works intermittently with power off and then back on, it may clear this up.
alrighty. next chance i get ill find a battery and give the mobo a good look over. thank you. ill be sure to report back any findings. might be a day or two.

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
And last but not least replace your cmos battery with a new one. Since it is five years old, and it works intermittently with power off and then back on, it may clear this up.
JUST got a new battery in. working thus far.

i dont wanna get my hopes up to much but, thatd be pretty cool if this was all it needed. i still dont get how the cmos battery has anything to do with crashing since i thought the bios n such ran off the PSU after turning the pc on. ill be back with a status update in a few days or less.

i hope this thread ends up helping someone.

The battery powers the cmos chip, the chip holds in memory all the configurations set up for the computer and keeps the internal clock going. So a failing cmos battery would not allow the motherboard to properly remember your settings and all settings, and interfere with a smooth posting up of your computer.

Solution

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019

i c i c. well everythings working now.

idk y but destiny 2 loads like crap now. was already barely making minimum requirments. i didnt notice any overclocking settings turned on prior to resetting the bios. but somethings not the same anymore. atleast it works. tho i do get booted from matchmaking games when loading in occasionally. was never a problem before. maybe i can figure this one out. definitely hardware and not network issue cuz loading other things in the game is rather sluggish.

i c i c. well everythings working now.

idk y but destiny 2 loads like crap now. was already barely making minimum requirments. i didnt notice any overclocking settings turned on prior to resetting the bios. but somethings not the same anymore. atleast it works. tho i do get booted from matchmaking games when loading in occasionally. was never a problem before. maybe i can figure this one out. definitely hardware and not network issue cuz loading other things in the game is rather sluggish.
Well since you you changed out the battery things are back as if you just bought the motherboard. Try reinstalling the most recent bios.

Demonic30

Prominent
Dec 1, 2019
Well since you you changed out the battery things are back as if you just bought the motherboard. Try reinstalling the most recent bios.
ahh. ya i dont think it was ever updated but i might have to try that. destiny 2 crashes my pc everytime now.. no more chassis intrusion error tho.

the new crash is kinda odd. still when im loading up the game. but once its crashed, pc like doesnt wanna start. i have to turn PSU off for longer, like 10-15 seconds, then back on and hold the power button for pc to start. once its turned on, it takes like 10 times longer to get past the loading windows part of the boot. then it auto logs me in and then the desktop like normal. the slow load seems weird to me so i shut it down and boot it back up and all loads up normally, instead of slow. i dont know if that info helps but figured id mention it.

ill try the bios update soon. kinda nervous tho cause i read you can do permanent damage if you dont do it right.