[SOLVED] Games crash to desktop, graphical bugs and pausing ?

Jan 5, 2021
Hello, I've been experiencing most of my games crashing to desktop mid game for about 2 years now along with graphical errors like artifacting and horizontal black bars across my screen in game (these only started about a year ago). It seems to affect more demanding games such as MHW every hour or so, but doesn't affect something like terraria at all.

I upgraded my cpu, ram and motherboard around the time these issues started (2 years ago) but cannot remember if they started before or after this.

I started noticing these errors when my screen would freeze for a second or two in LOL matches, and occasional crashes in DS3. About a year ago I started getting graphical bugs like artifacting in civ 6 and borderlands 3. Crashes have gotten more frequent and happen in more games, and now in my more demanding games i'm lucky to play for an hour or two without one. The 2 second pauses in LOL have turned into a 10 second pause followed by 10 seconds of black screen before returning to game. Common errors I get are "graphics device crashed", and "Unreal engine is existing due to d3d device being lost". Often times discord audio will crash along with the game and reconnect a few seconds later.

I took my PC into see if my gpu was having issues in fall (between lockdowns here) and was told that it was doing fine on stress tests (i believe furmark was used over several hours for this). They suggested a clean install of windows - I plan on doing this within the week once i get a storage device to backup my files.

I have done a clean install of my gpu drivers on 3 separate occasions, used the windows memory diagnostic which came back fine, and used window's system file checker. I have verified the integrity of all games affected through steam or their individual launchers. I have not overclocked or underclocked anything on my pc. I get one short quiet beep on startup. GPU runs at 70-77 degrees in demanding games and 45 on desktop (animated background). While the ram, cpu and motherboard are 2 years old, the rest of the pc is 5 years old.

System info:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x with stock cooler
Motherboard: Asus prime x470 pro
Ram: Corsair vengeance lpx 16 GB 3200MHz DDR4
GPU: Sapphire radeon R9 Fury
PSU: Corsair CX 600W bronze (75-001668)
Hard drives: WDC WD10 EZEX-08WN4A0 & INTEL SSDPEKNW010T8
Case: Deepcool tesseract BF mid tower
Windows 10 - 64 bit
BIOS: American Megatrends inc. 5601, 2020-07-10
GPU drivers last updated yesterday (clean install)

Solution
A continuation of my last comment, I got the RM750x on a couple people's recommendation (i have a refund option if need be). It has been installed as of 6 hours ago but it's still crashed 2 times since then with the same error message of "graphics device crashed".

Unfortunately, all these artifacts are signs of a failing GPU. Whether it's failing because of the previous low-quality PSU or just failing on its own is something unknowable. You needed a quality PSU to rule out PSU issues -- the old Corsair greens were really disappointing and one of our users here is largely responsible for Corsair's CX series being much improved since.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The green label version of the CX units from Corsair were one of the worst made in their portfolio and it's for this reason that we suggest you look into the grey labelled unit or something higher in tier in terms of reliability.

Did you reinstall your OS after the motherboard change? Speaking of motherboard, you have two more BIOS updates pending. I'd suggest sourcing a donor PSU that's reliably built and has at least 750W of power for the entire system and see if the issues are elliminated.

Reactions: raukela
Jan 5, 2021

The green label version of the CX units from Corsair were one of the worst made in their portfolio and it's for this reason that we suggest you look into the grey labelled unit or something higher in tier in terms of reliability.

Did you reinstall your OS after the motherboard change? Speaking of motherboard, you have two more BIOS updates pending. I'd suggest sourcing a donor PSU that's reliably built and has at least 750W of power for the entire system and see if the issues are elliminated.

Thankyou so much for letting me know about the psu! I had no idea about this until you brought it up. As it's a little over 5 years old anyways I'll be replacing the unit asap and I'll let you know if this fixes it. Do you know of any other models/brands I should avoid while searching?

Also no I did not reinstall my OS when I upgraded, I'm guessing that was a mistake?

edit: So I went searching, but all the info about what I'm supposed to look for in a psu is kind of overwhelming. Would you be able to tell me if any of these are quality models (or suggest a good one if they're bad)? I'd rather not wander into another crappy part if I can help it.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 80 plus Gold
Corsair RMx Series RM750x Silent 80+ Gold ATX (2018 version)
Seasonic Focus+ Gold 80+

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021

A continuation of my last comment, I got the RM750x on a couple people's recommendation (i have a refund option if need be). It has been installed as of 6 hours ago but it's still crashed 2 times since then with the same error message of "graphics device crashed".

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Unfortunately, all these artifacts are signs of a failing GPU. Whether it's failing because of the previous low-quality PSU or just failing on its own is something unknowable. You needed a quality PSU to rule out PSU issues -- the old Corsair greens were really disappointing and one of our users here is largely responsible for Corsair's CX series being much improved since.

Solution