Games crash to desktop

ddv33

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
I build this new system and when I play games or run 3Dmark 2001, they frequently quit to the desktop. I don't know what could be causing this. Maybe not enough power?

Here's my specs:
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
XP 2800+ barton retail
1 stick crucial pc2700 256mb
ASUS V9280TD Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB
WD 80GB 7200RPM
onboard sound and lan
Codegen 350W Power Supply
Windows XP Pro

Thanks for any help

endyen

Splendid
Could be the psu. Check the voltages in the bios.You might want to run 3D mark with your other ide drives and floppy disconnected. If it runs fine then,get a new psu.
It could also be driver related. Reload your motherboard agp drivers first then your detonator drivers then directx.
It could also be a cpu heat problem. Run 3d mark till it fails, then reboot and check your temps in the bios. If they are above 50c, you may have your hsf on backwards,so check that. Let us know.

Sir_Lovesalot

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
I don´t think it´s your PSU, Codegen with 350W should do the job just fine. Check your RAM settings and timings, and make sure you´re using new drivers for your vid-card.

Sir_Lovesalot

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Try using 2-3-3-6 or 2.5-3-3-6 as your timings, these should work with your system. You might also want to use WHQL-certified drivers for your Geforce4 just to be sure.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&internal=1&username=Sir_Lovesalot" target="_new"> My system </A>

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
sounds like a driver or heat problem. Try re-installing your mobo AGP drivers, video card drivers, etc. Also, make sure your CPU isn't overheating. Does your case have enough ventilation?

If I was as sexy as I was smart.....I'd still be ugly..DAMN :mad:
**Finally made Newbie...HAPPY DANCE..HAPPY DANCE..**

MrGAS

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
Disable Messenger and run Adware by lavasoft,also run a popup stopper like panicware's popupstopper pro.

cwalter5

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
I'd say "if" it is a hardware problem it is most likely RAM. A friend of mine recently had the same thing happen to his system and I thought it might be PSU also because a PC I had previously exhibited similar problems. However after solving his problem, which was ram, it looks like often times bad memmory will cause a crash to the desktop while an insufficient power supply will cause the system to have a hard crash and display lines across the screen until restarted. At least that my experience with an ATI AIW 8500DV, those cards need lots of power.

It would be interesting to see if this applies in your situation, would make future troubleshooting easier if others have witnessed the same.

pat

Expert
I had to raise my vcore voltage @1.7v instead of 1.65v on my 2500+ to prevent it to do what yours is doing because my AIW8500DV take too much from my PSU which cause the vcore to fluctuate too much.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Odd solution... I would replace my crappy PSU myself... sounds more like the voltage controllers on your mobo are crap if you ask me.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.