Games crash unless I turn off Fast Read

I have a 9200SE. About 50% of the 3D shooter type games I play will
randomly crash with with errors pointing to the ATI driver if I leave the
driver settings at their defaults. I have found that if I run the
SmartGart.exe utility and turn off the AGP Fast Reads, then my card performs
flawlessly and actually the performance is quite good. I am currently
playing Far Cry just fine now.

Does anyone have any idea why I should have to turn this off? When I do a
SmartGart "Test", it says that it should handle both FastReads and
FastWrites. However, if I turn on FastWrites, when I reboot, the setting is
turned back off. And if I turn on Fast Reads, my games crash. Bizarre.

Any input would be appreciated. My system specs follow:

Homebuilt system:
Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz CPU (533Mhz clock version I think)
512MB PC3200 memory (Namebrand memory)
Albatron PX865PE Pro MB with onboard sound (realtek 6 channel) and network
adapter
Windows XP Pro w/ latest drivers for all hardware.

Thanks,
Gary

Would someone knowledgeable in this area be good enough to explain what this
"fastread" feature is supposed to do? (but be sure to answer original
posters question first.) I think mine might be disabled as well and I'd like
to know what if anything I am missing.

Thank You,
Chalky

lee

not sure of fastread but fastwrite 98% of the time does absolutely nothing
in terms of performance to most chipsets on some it even makes your 3d apps
unstable i would recommend you have this disabled.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:49:56 GMT, "Chalky" <loudasheck@NOSPAMcomcast.net>
wrote:

>:>Would someone knowledgeable in this area be good enough to explain what this
>:>"fastread" feature is supposed to do? (but be sure to answer original
>:>posters question first.) I think mine might be disabled as well and I'd like
>:>to know what if anything I am missing.
>:>
>:>Thank You,
>:>Chalky
>:>

-----
Lee.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:02:14 GMT, "Gary H"
<nospamharperg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I have a 9200SE. About 50% of the 3D shooter type games I play will
>randomly crash with with errors pointing to the ATI driver if I leave the
>driver settings at their defaults. I have found that if I run the
>SmartGart.exe utility and turn off the AGP Fast Reads, then my card performs
>flawlessly and actually the performance is quite good. I am currently
>playing Far Cry just fine now.

>Does anyone have any idea why I should have to turn this off? When I do a
>SmartGart "Test", it says that it should handle both FastReads and
>FastWrites. However, if I turn on FastWrites, when I reboot, the setting is

You are turning on in the high O/S, but the low O/S ' locks ' them !

>turned back off. And if I turn on Fast Reads, my games crash. Bizarre.

Because:

- Fastwites are turned on/off in the BIOS, and when you re-boot you
re-set them
- Fastwrites are of no speed benefit on Radeon's & cause instability,
turn them off

>Any input would be appreciated. My system specs follow:

>Homebuilt system:
>Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz CPU (533Mhz clock version I think)
>512MB PC3200 memory (Namebrand memory)
>Albatron PX865PE Pro MB with onboard sound (realtek 6 channel) and network
>adapter
>Windows XP Pro w/ latest drivers for all hardware.

>Thanks,
>Gary

BoroLad

What about Fast Reads? FastWrites are a no brainer because I can't turn
them on if I want to. However, why do my games crash with Fast Reads on?
Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:02:14 GMT, "Gary H"
> <nospamharperg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a 9200SE. About 50% of the 3D shooter type games I play will
>>randomly crash with with errors pointing to the ATI driver if I leave the
>>driver settings at their defaults. I have found that if I run the
>>SmartGart.exe utility and turn off the AGP Fast Reads, then my card
>>performs
>>flawlessly and actually the performance is quite good. I am currently
>>playing Far Cry just fine now.
>
>>Does anyone have any idea why I should have to turn this off? When I do a
>>SmartGart "Test", it says that it should handle both FastReads and
>>FastWrites. However, if I turn on FastWrites, when I reboot, the setting
>>is
>
> You are turning on in the high O/S, but the low O/S ' locks ' them !
>
>>turned back off. And if I turn on Fast Reads, my games crash. Bizarre.
>
> Because:
>
> - Fastwites are turned on/off in the BIOS, and when you re-boot you
> re-set them
> - Fastwrites are of no speed benefit on Radeon's & cause instability,
> turn them off
>
>>Any input would be appreciated. My system specs follow:
>
>>Homebuilt system:
>>Pentium 4 - 2.4GHz CPU (533Mhz clock version I think)
>>512MB PC3200 memory (Namebrand memory)
>>Albatron PX865PE Pro MB with onboard sound (realtek 6 channel) and network
>>adapter
>>Windows XP Pro w/ latest drivers for all hardware.
>
>>Thanks,
>>Gary
>
> BoroLad

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:37:24 GMT, "Gary H"
<nospamharperg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>What about Fast Reads? FastWrites are a no brainer because I can't turn
>them on if I want to. However, why do my games crash with Fast Reads on?
>Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

Never heard of ' fastreads ', where does it say this ? I downloaded
your manual and there are no references to ' fastread ' in it !

BoroLad