Games crash

GMThomas

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Hello all,

When I play certain games (Civilization IV, Need For Speed: Carbon) after around 15 minutes the game will crash, taking the entire computer with it. The sound will still be working, but the monitors will be in standby, and a few seconds later, the whole thing locks up.

I am using an HIS ATi Radeon X1950Pro (256mb PCI-E) graphics card with the latest Omega drivers. Tried reinstalling them, didn't help. Temperatures are fine, hardly get above 55.

Other games (Half-Life 2, America's Army) do not suffer from crashes.

The crashes are random but happen after similar periods of time. There is no warning before they happen, the game just dies.

Here are more entire specs:

AMD Opteron 175
2gb RAM (assorted brands)
430w PSU (SLI-certified)

So what is wrong? What should I do?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If your CPU is overclocked, you might want to run it at stock levels. Also, you only mentioned your GPU temps... perhaps your CPU is getting too warm. It never hurts to run Memtest86+ from a bootable CD to eliminate your RAM as the culprit. Although your PSU is adequate, there is no guarantee it's working as advertised... if you have a spare (or even a loaner) handy, swap that out. The most maddening computer problem I've ever had was traced back to a faulty PSU.

Those are the basic steps I'd start with.