Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Specs:
CPU: i7 9700k (stock clock)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
Ram: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance 3.6Ghz
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO (250GB & 1TB)
GPU: RTX 2080 Super by Zotac (latest driver)
PSU: Corsair TX-M 650 Watt
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 275r

I have recently upgraded my entire system sans the PSU, storage, and chassis. The GPU upgrade came a week after the rest of the system upgrades. I didn't perform extensive gaming tests on the hardware prior to the GPU upgrade, so I suppose it's possible another component is responsible for the crashing. But the abnormal behaviour exhibited by my games has changed slightly by changing my GPU drivers and settings, so that's my reason to believe it's GPU related.

Metro Exodus and Hitman 2 are the games which are causing me the most trouble, and to make it even more baffling, their crashes aren't easily reproducible because their reliability is really variable from run to run.

Metro Exodus took some multiple of 10 seconds to boot up, then it often crashed in the splash screens. It usually booted and ran in DX11. After rolling back my drivers it would, on some occasions, boot on DX12, but when I enabled ray tracing it would crash. But not invariably. I contacted Nvidia support and they told me to set threaded optimization, tripple buffering, and vsync off in the Nvidia control panel. That worked. The game booted quickly and I could enable ray tracing.

I've upgraded my drivers and Metro takes an age to boot again.
Hitman 2 (dx11) crashes mid-way into a level suddenly.

Another strange thing: GPU-Z is the only monitoring tool that correctly measures my memory clock. MSI Afterburner and HWMonitor all detect normal clocks until my gpu is pressed and it's values shoot to 5000MHz +, usually maxing out at 7751MHz

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
you use the minimal recommended psu for this gpu and you wrote this ( all detect normal clocks until my gpu is pressed ) does it means you have to push gpu in board slot or made it work harder on lod .

Ah no, sorry I mean when it's under load, even pretty minimal load.

You think I need a new psu?

Using this site https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
It suggests a load wattage of 481W. Am I not comfortably above that? Even if it rose to 100W above that, I think I'd be safe.

Mephis39

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
i would try to use a more powerful psu for test and see if one of your friends have a similar power psu could run this gpu in there system without issue .
I'll do that. I know someone with a 1200W PSU.

Do you know of a way I can measure total power use in my system?

One other question, will I damage any components if this power supply isn't powerful enough?

Latest posts