Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Specs:
Motherboard: Hero VII Wifi
CPU:Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz
Power supply: 600w

A friend of mine recently upgrading his PC from an Intel i5 to a a Ryzen 7 2700x. Before this games never crashed on his PC. But he would see the PC struggling to play some of the newer games. After upgrading the CPU and Ram from 8bg to 16gb almost all games are crashing while playing. Sometimes he can go a few hours, other times every 15 minutes. Some games are worse than others. He's monitored all temps on CPU and GPU and the heating doesn't seem to be a problem. He did go into BIO's and noticed that the CPU was automatically overclocking, and turned that off. None of that seems to be fixing the issue. He's updated all drivers on motherboard and GPU. Another friend of his told him that he thinks that he thinks the GPU is under performing and is causing bottlenecking which is crashing games. He said his Motherboard and Processor are too advanced for his GPU and his GPU can't keep up. I'm not professional in this matter, but it doesn't seem like having a MB and processor that can handle MORE than that the GPU has to offer would cause games to crash? Now he's looking at buying another GPU even though he doesn't necessarily want to spend the money. I on the other hand think it could be something else within BIO's or maybe even an issue with powersupply. I'm hoping someone else on here who is way more knowledgeable than the average person could give me any advice on what else to try. I'm trying to help him fix this without spending money on a new GPU. But if that could really cause this issue, maybe that's his best bet. Thanks!

wharris1985

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
What are full system specs... motherboard,memory,gpu,psu, cooler etc

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Storage: Samsung 500gb SSD
Power supply: EVGA 500 BI, 80+ Bronze 600w
CPU Cooling: Stock Ryzen 7 cooler -
GPU Cooling - Dual GPU coolers (built in)
Case: Stock case fan (one)

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Storage: Samsung 500gb SSD
Power supply: EVGA 500 BI, 80+ Bronze 600w
CPU Cooling: Stock Ryzen 7 cooler -
GPU Cooling - Dual GPU coolers (built in)
Case: Stock case fan (one)
OK...using stock HS/F...

1060 should still perform well enough in most game titles. if your BIOS was auto-overclocking then it may be set up a bit strange, I'd suggest doing a CMOS reset to return to all base values and then see if it's at least stable running.

wharris1985

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
OK...using stock HS/F...

1060 should still perform well enough in most game titles. if your BIOS was auto-overclocking then it may be set up a bit strange, I'd suggest doing a CMOS reset to return to all base values and then see if it's at least stable running.

Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do you do a CMOS reset. When doing what exactly is it doing?