Question Games Crashing and Memory Management BSOD but nothing during Stress Tests.

Alizeeshan095

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
Hello everyone

Posting here because I have been facing an issue with my newly built system. The games crash including Elden Ring , Ori and the Will of the Wisps , Darksiders Genesis and Dota. It only stays stable during playing SC Remastered (Probably due to the extremely low loads on the GPU). The PC Stays completely stable during all tests including Unigine Superposition , Furmark , Heaven. There is no error messages , artifacts or temperature spikes on the GPU before the crashes. Monitoring using MSI Afterburner and HWinfo64. GPU Temperatures never go above 70 Degrees, although as I type this my GPU idle is sitting at 36.5 Degrees and 50 Degrees for the GPU Hotspot. The BSODs with Memory Management Error have happened 3 times , once during Stray , Dota and Darksiders Genesis.

The PC never restarts or crashes beyond the times it was under load.

One key issue I think might be causing it is the fact that the GPU has had the same thermal paste for the past 8 years or so , but i was strongly advised against changing it as the the reassembly process might cause issues due to improper weight distribution on the GPU. Not sure why I took this advice as it didn't make sense.

I have tried the following:
  1. Changing Windows from Windows 11 to Windows 10.
  2. Updating all drivers, BIOS and Firmware including DDU for fresh install of the GPU Drivers.
  3. Running Memory Diagnostic Tool , Memtest86 and all.
  4. Running Furmark and Heaven etc for extended periods of time to check for stability.
  5. Monitoring all temps of the components.

Things i have not tried:
  1. Using an older version of the GPU Driver or updating the firmware of the GPU.
  2. Running all my games off the iGPU to check if the crashes happen using it too which might point to it being the issue with another component.
  3. Changing slots of my RAM sticks , reseating CPU/GPU.
  4. Monitoring power draws of the components.

System Specs are as follows:

I5-12400 using the Stock Intel Cooler.
Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX Rev 1.2
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x16GB)
GTX 970 Gigabyte Windforce. (Pulled it from my previous PC so its been seeing action since December 2014.
1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus boot drive , 1xKingston 240 GB SATA Drive , 1x WD Green 1 TB HDD.
XPG Core Reactor 650 Watts.
Lian Li Lancool 205 Mesh (Stock Fans) 2 Intake and 1 Exhaust in the Back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies for posting a similar topic but the other topics had full blown pc crashes , restarts , artifacting or other issues.

Hello everyone

Posting here because I have been facing an issue with my newly built system. The games crash including Elden Ring , Ori and the Will of the Wisps , Darksiders Genesis and Dota. It only stays stable during playing SC Remastered (Probably due to the extremely low loads on the GPU). The PC Stays completely stable during all tests including Unigine Superposition , Furmark , Heaven. There is no error messages , artifacts or temperature spikes on the GPU before the crashes. Monitoring using MSI Afterburner and HWinfo64. GPU Temperatures never go above 70 Degrees, although as I type this my GPU idle is sitting at 36.5 Degrees and 50 Degrees for the GPU Hotspot. The BSODs with Memory Management Error have happened 3 times , once during Stray , Dota and Darksiders Genesis.

The PC never restarts or crashes beyond the times it was under load.

One key issue I think might be causing it is the fact that the GPU has had the same thermal paste for the past 8 years or so , but i was strongly advised against changing it as the the reassembly process might cause issues due to improper weight distribution on the GPU. Not sure why I took this advice as it didn't make sense.

I have tried the following:
  1. Changing Windows from Windows 11 to Windows 10.
  2. Updating all drivers, BIOS and Firmware including DDU for fresh install of the GPU Drivers.
  3. Running Memory Diagnostic Tool , Memtest86 and all.
  4. Running Furmark and Heaven etc for extended periods of time to check for stability.
  5. Monitoring all temps of the components.

Things i have not tried:
  1. Using an older version of the GPU Driver or updating the firmware of the GPU.
  2. Running all my games off the iGPU to check if the crashes happen using it too which might point to it being the issue with another component.
  3. Changing slots of my RAM sticks , reseating CPU/GPU.
  4. Monitoring power draws of the components.

System Specs are as follows:

I5-12400 using the Stock Intel Cooler.
Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX Rev 1.2
32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x16GB)
GTX 970 Gigabyte Windforce. (Pulled it from my previous PC so its been seeing action since December 2014.
1x Samsung 970 EVO Plus boot drive , 1xKingston 240 GB SATA Drive , 1x WD Green 1 TB HDD.
XPG Core Reactor 650 Watts.
Lian Li Lancool 205 Mesh (Stock Fans) 2 Intake and 1 Exhaust in the Back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies for posting a similar topic but the other topics had full blown pc crashes , restarts , artifacting or other issues.
You're issue sounds like it in the ram have you tried using a single stick of ram at a time and seeing if the issue persist

Alizeeshan095

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
You're issue sounds like it in the ram have you tried using a single stick of ram at a time and seeing if the issue persist

The memory management BSODs have stopped after the windows 10 downgrade. Currently only facing issues with Elden Ring and a 1000 Error Code ID in Event Viewer.

No issues currently with BSOD. But i will try it with single sticks of ram and see if the games keep crashing.

Alizeeshan095

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
A little update on the situation , i tried running the same games off my Integrated UHD 730 and its showing zero crashes till now. Could it be that my GPU is just dying ? Any help would be super duper appreciated.

A little update on the situation , i tried running the same games off my Integrated UHD 730 and its showing zero crashes till now. Could it be that my GPU is just dying ? Any help would be super duper appreciated.
It maybe the power supply failing of it's not providing enough power it can cause the types of issues, have you tried running occt and checking power draw through there see if you get crashes?

Alizeeshan095

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014
It maybe the power supply failing of it's not providing enough power it can cause the types of issues, have you tried running occt and checking power draw through there see if you get crashes?
Sorry had a busy time at office so wasnt able to reply to this thread at all. The PSU is brand new , got the XPG Core Reactor 650 Watt which i thought would be sufficient for this system. I can run the utlity you mentioned and return with an update.

From all that I'm finding you didn't pick a bad company for psu's but I can only guess at this point from the mixed reviews on this psu model that had picked from them it's a bit finicky 1/2 work right and 1/2 don't.... I don't know if this is your problem or not.. however I can only assume you got a none proper working one. However the factor that it's only happening on certain games makes it the odd part