[SOLVED] Games crashing and then unable to use pc properly until restart

Deco22

Honorable
Aug 6, 2017
Hi all,

I've had this issue a couple times now where I will be playing a game (this has happened on black ops 4 and sniper elite 4 currently), and then it will just close to the desktop. Everything seems fine until I look at my RAM usage and see that a lot of it is still being used and discord also shows that the game is still open. When I open task manager to try and close the application, it reports 100% CPU usage however everything on the list is shown as using 0% CPU. If I try and go to the 'performance' tab task manager just freezes and closes. I looked in resource manager and the game's exe is still running, but I am unable to end it due to "Access being denied". Both times I have had to restart my PC to be able to fix this problem, one of the times the whole PC froze completely. The only error message I have had was when black ops crashed and reported low VRAM.

Specs:
CPU: Intel I7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
Mobo: Asus Maximus 8 Hero
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 a8g
PSU: Corsair HX850I
Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD (boot drive), 2TB Western Digital HDD (general storage)

If anyone can offer any help with this I will be very grateful,
Thanks

Solution
3000MHz memory is for overclocking but you aren't overclocking CPU.

I can't tell what memory you have without a part number. Your memory settings in BIOS may also be a problem and I don't know what they are.
Memory clock speed
DRAM timings
DRAM voltage

I7-6700k supported memory is DDR4-2133MHz. You may want to try running MemTest86 to test for defective memory.
3000MHz memory is for overclocking but you aren't overclocking CPU.

I can't tell what memory you have without a part number. Your memory settings in BIOS may also be a problem and I don't know what they are.
Memory clock speed
DRAM timings
DRAM voltage

I7-6700k supported memory is DDR4-2133MHz. You may want to try running MemTest86 to test for defective memory.

Solution

Deco22

Honorable
Aug 6, 2017

Hey Calvin,
The RAM I am using is this

I had XMP enabled but I am going to try turning it off to see if that could be causing it, since I started experiencing this after I enabled XMP. If the problem persists I will try running MemTest to see if it finds anything.

Thanks for the quick response!

TRENDING THREADS