Question Games crashing and weird full PC crash - RTX 3060 TI

Oct 31, 2022
Hey guys, I recently bought a rtx 3060 TI.
I run it with a r3600x, Corsair CX600W PSU, a prime b450m-gaming/br motherboard and 2x8gb 2400 ram, I've also updated the bios to the last version and used ddu for a clean install of drivers, even after completely formatting my pc.
Since I bought it, some games will randomly freeze and then crash one second later, asides from that it runs perfectly and the benchmarks show it as normal.
The GPU is not overclocked btw.
It crashes on overwatch 2, for honor, dead by daylight, outlast trials, etc, but some other games like Metro Exodus and Cyberpunk 2077 are completely fine.

Yesterday I was playing overwatch 2 and out of nowhere the screen got really weird and stuck, the sound was also at that hellish noise of something I could only describe as being inside a microwave, I managed to grab a picture before I had to turn off the PC, here it is:
s6gBAL0.jpeg

Oct 31, 2022
Double check all of your power cables and try running the GPU undervolted. What was your last GPU?

Ok, thanks! I'll try that in my next gaming session.

Something I forgot to mention is those crashes happen very sparsely and normally it's just a CTD, that last one is the one that got me scared but it only happened twice, one time before I clean installed the drivers (around a month ago) and this one yesterday.

DSzymborski

Titan
First step is to replace the inappropriate PSU, which is a decade ago and group-regulated, quality well short of any modern GPU that uses supplementary power. The relative good news here is that this PSU usually doesn't kill GPUs like the very junkiest of the tiers.

Oct 31, 2022
First step is to replace the inappropriate PSU, which is a decade ago and group-regulated, quality well short of any modern GPU that uses supplementary power. The relative good news here is that this PSU usually doesn't kill GPUs like the very junkiest of the tiers.
So it's probably the PSU right? Here where I live things end up being very expensive, so I kinda wanna be sure before I upgrade any parts, but yeah, the PSU is very old and It's probably the next thing I'm upgrading

DSzymborski

Titan
So it's probably the PSU right? Here where I live things end up being very expensive, so I kinda wanna be sure before I upgrade any parts, but yeah, the PSU is very old and It's probably the next thing I'm upgrading

Probably, but not certainly. One of the many problems with a low-quality PSU is that any time there's a problem that may be related to having a low-quality PSU, you can't diagnose the problem effectively until you have ruled out the low-quality PSU.

If a quality PSU is too expensive, I'd strongly consider returning the 3060 Ti to the retailer (usually a 30-day window) and getting a GPU that's more appropriate for a low-quality PSU, like a 1050 Ti or 1650. No sense throwing good money away on an expensive GPU on inappropriate safety equipment.

Oct 31, 2022
Probably, but not certainly. One of the many problems with a low-quality PSU is that any time there's a problem that may be related to having a low-quality PSU, you can't diagnose the problem effectively until you have ruled out the low-quality PSU.

If a quality PSU is too expensive, I'd strongly consider returning the 3060 Ti to the retailer (usually a 30-day window) and getting a GPU that's more appropriate for a low-quality PSU, like a 1050 Ti or 1650. No sense throwing good money away on an expensive GPU on inappropriate safety equipment.

Alright, I'll probably buy a PSU this month then, better safe than sorry anyway. Thanks for the input, hopefully that fixes the problem!

Also sorry, forgot to mention my last gpu was a gtx 970

Last edited: