Games crashing / Benchmarks crashing

Apr 5, 2018
About 2 weeks ago, I had an overvoltage issue with my CPU. I replaced the CPU, and RAM and fixed all the issues that I could see. Those issues included games not starting, crashing, lagging, high CPU temps, PC Hangups, desktop freezing.

I fixed most of the issues after replacing the CPU, and then fixed crashes (I thought) after getting new ram.

I hop on today, no crashes until about 7 hours later. I get a crash. I run heaven benchmark, I get a crash after about 4 minutes. My GPU temps do not go over 60c before crash nor do my core clocks or memory clocks do anything before the crash.

I run CPU tests without any crashes. CPU never goes above 61c. CPU clocks are normal and do not drop.

Neither my CPU or Graphics card are OC'd. My M.2 drives are healthy (according to crystaldisk).

I have done all I can think of to fix the issue.

I have:
-Reinstalled GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode
-reseated graphics card
-cleared CMOS
-ran malware and virus scans
-Reformated drives and reinstalled windows
-Performed memtest with 0 errors

My framerates are just fine when in game. Everything runs perfectly fine until the application/'s randomly crash. It can take 1 hour, 10 minutes, doesn't really matter. There is no pattern and its impossible to tell what the issue is. Could my memory controller have been damaged? I would assume its either the graphics card or motherboard that is the cause, however if it was the motherboard I wouldn't expect it to boot up or show severe issues.

Any ideas?

I have saved a dxdiag file if need be, just let me know and ill post it here in text.

Build:
- Aorus 1080ti Extreme 11GB
- 8700k Delid @4.7
- 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz @3200mhz
- 1x 960 EVO (OS) 1x 960 PRO (Storage)
- Maximus X Formula
- Corsair HX 850i w/ Custom cables
- NZXT H700i

Peripherals: In PC
- Custom EK waterloop - - Res>Pump>GPU>CPU>RAD>RAD>
- 6x Noctua NF F12 PWM Chromax.Black / 1x NZXT Fan
- Hue+ / 3x RGB strips
- Phanteks Fan Hub
- NZXT USB 2.0 Hub

Peripherals: Outside PC
- PG278QR
- Logitech 5.1 Speakers
- Sennheiser Game Zero Headest
- Corsair K55
- Razer deathadder Black

Solution

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
So, the video card intensive loads seem to be all that's left causing the crashes... this brings up a couple of questions - but yes, the dxdiag file may help:

Questions:
How exactly did the CPU over-volt (was the deadly voltage prompted or unprompted)?

Have you verified that the PSU isn't failing?

You said you replaced the CPU and RAM to fix issues, did you need to replace the RAM as well as the CPU? If you did need to replace that many components, I can imagine the PSU may have caused that damage in the first place.

You're best way of testing the video card is to borrow someone else's PC (with a different, working, and capable PSU) and install it (with drivers) then run Heaven benchmark again (assuming the crash in Heaven is pretty consistent - if not, 3D Mark Timespy should be enough to push the card).

Apr 5, 2018

I don't think replacing the ram fixed anything for sure. The CPU though definitely. I must've typed in the wrong voltage on offset ratio because when I got back to bios (After getting an "Overvoltage error") my CPU (8700k) was at 1.7v! I'm used to MSI so I was not familiar with the asus bios and therefor made a dumb mistake.

Immediately after turning the voltage down and resestting CMOS (for safe measure) I booted back into windows and noticed instability right off the bat. Programs like msi afterburner etc crashing and hickups/freezes at desktop.

My main concern is that the memory controller on the motherboard got damaged or the motherboard itself. If its the graphics card I do not mind that much because I plan on upgrading to a 1180/2080ti whenever they come out. So a few crashes here and there is nothing for me to worry about for the time being. Again, the motherboard is the main concern, it will be hard to get it out with my cooling system I have in place lol.

I have NOT verified if the power supply is failing, I have a tester but was hoping it wouldn't come to that, it will require a complete disassembly. I also expect FPS issues if the power supply is causing issues. My thought is that everything is working except the crashing so if it was the PSU I would have experienced frame drops or some other issues.

How should i post this dxdiag? Post it in text through a reply or another method?

Edit: I'm not an expert, but if the memory was giving bad reads leading to crashes, wouldn't that only be applicable to rendering videos or would the bad read be prevalent during say prime95? I say this because that would point to the memory controller being damage correct?

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Ah, I see, so the PSU is probably fine (though checking it is still a good idea). But since the CPU was definitely fried, then it's possible the motherboard also took some damage; enough to cause your issues. Unfortunately the only cheap and easy way to test the motherboard without replacing it is to rule out every other component (including hard drives, optical drives, etc.).

I'd also definitely look into testing the graphics card in another capable PC. That said, perhaps it may be as simple as removing the old graphics drivers with ccleaner (https://www.ccleaner.com/) and then reinstalling the most recent drivers, as well as tackling any Windows updates (do that before installing the new graphics drivers).

Good luck.

Solution