Question Games crashing coincides with gpu voltage jump

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
I'm having an issue with games crashing to desktop, sometimes with an error message including "display driver failed" or "display device failed", sometimes with no error message. Using benchmarking software doesn't cause a crash.

I've used MSI afterburner's hardware monitor and noticed that the "voltage limit" spikes when the game crashes (image). I don't understand the workings of GPUs so not sure what this means and if its a sign of something wrong with my gpu?

Temps are fine, drivers are all updated and I reset my PC after having no look troubleshooting. Eventviewer doesn't show any consistent errors.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry completely forgot to add that, pc specs are:

Ryzen 5 5600X
RTX 3070Ti
32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 RAM
MSI B550i Gaming Edge WiFi
Corsair RM750x PSU
Samsung 980 1TB NVME SSD
Windows 11

Thank you. Given you've tried most everything and all drivers are up to date, I'd suggest you update your bios, is it's not already up to date.

jonnyguru has often posted here, with advice about issues with RTX GPU's and MSI mobo's, and which can be solved by a bios update.

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Thank you. Given you've tried most everything and all drivers are up to date, I'd suggest you update your bios, is it's not already up to date.

jonnyguru has often posted here, with advice about issues with RTX GPU's and MSI mobo's, and which can be solved by a bios update.
Thank you, my BIOS isn't the latest version so I will update and see what happens.