[SOLVED] Games crashing due to Pagefile Size

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Hi everyone, i was messing around with the pagefile size due to a problem with stuttering in games, the thing is, when i set it to none, some games crash (pubg, warzone, etc) while others don't. I have 16 GB RAM so i should be able to run those games fine but apparently not, so my question is, should i leave the pagefile on windows managed? should i manually set it? or is there something wrong with my rig and a 0 pagefile shouldn't cause crashes?

Btw: i don't have an SSD drive(yet), instead i have an old regular HDD (it works fine, and by old i mean outdated, not malfunctioning)

MY RIG:

Intel I7 8700
Asus GTX 1080 Ti
16 RAM 3000 mhz
HDD 1 TB WD

Solution
it happens often in games, when, for example, a new ''area'' loads up, so on open worlds it happens when you basically go from point A to point B, maybe on point B there's a city or something and it like takes a moment to load up or something? idk but it often also happens just random (only on games ofc)
And that is the result of it being on the HDD.
What about the stuttering and such? isnt the performance going to drop due to the system using hard drive memory instead of actual ram?
I would rather have a system stutter than crash out of games.
The solution isnt getting rid of pagefile, it would be increasing RAM. Not to mention it is an essential windows process, its not just about games.

Have you actually monitored your RAM usage in game? Is it maxing out or not even close? If its not close then its likely not a RAM/pagefile issue .

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
I would rather have a system stutter than crash out of games.
The solution isnt getting rid of pagefile, it would be increasing RAM. Not to mention it is an essential windows process, its not just about games.

Have you actually monitored your RAM usage in game? Is it maxing out or not even close? If its not close then its likely not a RAM/pagefile issue .
It depends on the game, but there's no game that uses more than idk 12-13 ram at most

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
Some things talk to a pagefile, no matter where it lives, or how much RAM you have.
If it needs to talk to a pagefile and that does not exist...crash.

Your stuttering issue may be something else completely.
And what could be? i've done tests like 3d mark and such and got good results, and everything else works just fine, could it be the fact that i am still using an HDD instead of an SDD?

Rathnhake

Reputable
Jan 8, 2020
When does this "stuttering" happen?

The drive is only really involved in loading data.
After that...it is all RAM/CPU/GPU.
it happens often in games, when, for example, a new ''area'' loads up, so on open worlds it happens when you basically go from point A to point B, maybe on point B there's a city or something and it like takes a moment to load up or something? idk but it often also happens just random (only on games ofc)

USAFRet

Titan
And that is the result of it being on the HDD.

Solution