[SOLVED] Games crashing. Faulty Hardware (?)

Oct 3, 2020
Hello, I have been experiencing a problem with my games crashing and I have been trying to fix this problem but have not been successful for about half a year. Basically, I got a new motherboard (ASU ROG Strix B450-F) and a CPU (Ryzen 5 2600) in late 2019 because my previous motherboard started having problems with the USB ports. And right off the bat, I started experiencing problems with a lot of the games I have been playing. The games I play include CS: GO, League of Legends, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and a few more but these were the games that I had the most problem with. So after doing my own research and contacting technical support on what the problem is this is what I obtained/heard from the game tech services.

League of Legends
Problem: Game freezing, often requiring a hard reboot
Error: Corrupted Graphics Driver (according to support)

CS: GO
Problem: Game freezing/crashing/screen freeze with game running
Error: kernel.dll (according to support)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Problem: Game crashing (Almost instantly (5~10min) into the game, also crashed when launched in DX11
Error: dev error 5759, 6068, etc

Warhammer: Vermintide 2
Problem: Game crashing (20~30min into the game) (When launched after Modern Warfare crashed, it crashed almost instantly)
Error: Directx error, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED, DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG (from tech support/ game logs), D3DDRED2 (app crash view), also crashed when launched in DX11 (Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 in reliability history)

And for many of these crashes, I saw Windows Hardware error, LiveKernelEvent 141, in the reliability history.

The only support service that provided me with much information was from Fatshark (Warhammer: Vermintide 2) and probably Riot games (League of legends). And many just told me to reinstall the graphics driver, which I have done countless times while testing. One thing that I noticed was that 3D Mark oftentimes ran fine after I rebooted the system, I was able to get the test to pass and give me a score. But when I ran 3D Mark (DirectX 12 test) after a game crashed, an error occurred and the test failed. Many times the games continued to crash until I rebooted my system.

Although all of these errors and causes are pointing towards a GPU issue, I am almost certain it is NOT the GPU that is causing the problem. To troubleshoot my system I have tried 4 different GPUs (GTX 960, GTX1050ti, RTX 2060 Super(I had to RMA an older one), 2 that I have confirmed working on other systems) and the games continued to crash.

Here's a list of what I have tried (Pretty much everything passed):
  • Reinstall graphics driver using DDU
  • Test 4 different GPU (GTX 960, GTX 1050ti, 2 x RTX 2060 Super)
  • Reinstall the game that I am having trouble with
  • Update every single driver on my computer through device manager
  • Clean reinstall Windows on a clean SSD
  • Update any driver through the ASUS support page
  • Check the temperature of the system (did not pass 70*C for both CPU and GPU)
  • Check for physical damage on the motherboard (nothing)
  • Run memtest86 (12+ hrs)
  • Run Hot CPU tester
  • Check for disk health/fragmentation (healthy)
  • Test with a new PSU (EVGA BQ 750W)
  • Update BIOS
  • Check motherboard voltage 3.3v, 5v, 12v (no unusual readings out of +-5% range)
  • Run windows memory diagnostic test
  • Run /sfc scannow
  • Reinstall Directx (?) - said the latest was installed
  • Check for viruses
  • Pretty sure there was more but I can't really remember at the moment.
I am really tired at my PC at this point and many of the tests I have listed have been done at least a couple of times for consistency and I can't really figure out what is causing the problem. I have heard from a few support services that in a rare case, a faulty motherboard and CPU could cause GPU related problems, especially with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error. I do not really have a Ryzen CPU or motherboard lying around to test it. This is really my last hope of finding a solution to what's causing this problem before I throw away my computer haha. I am almost certain its a hardware issue at this point and I am leaning towards motherboard and/or CPU issue as the problem happened right away after I switched and I pretty much troubleshooter anything I can think of. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :)

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER SC ULTRA
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16gb (8gb x 2)
PSU: Rosewill Capstone 650W (Gold)
Storage: Samsung SSD (250gb) - boot
WD Blue 1TB HDD - slave

+Non of my hardware has been overclocked or altered with, everything is in default settings

Solution
If you pull the motherboard out use a magnifying glass to check the CPU pins.
I recently had another head scratcher where in the end both my motherboard and cpu were faulty. It took months to sort out thanks to covid.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
So you got errors with all those graphics cards?
It all looks like graphics card errors. Did you get all these errors on every card you tried?
Have you tried another motherboard? - might be a pcie problem
Have you tried a Windows Repair?

Oct 3, 2020
Yes, I ran all 4 graphics card on this system, and every single one of them had games crash and show a similar sort of Directx related problem. And I have tested the GTX 960 and the 1050ti on a different build and it showed no problems (being used on a different system). I haven't tested the current 2060 Super but to me, it seems unlikely that its a GPU problem.

Technically I have tried 2 of the tested GPUs on a different motherboard, but as this is the only PC I have using an AMD CPU, I was not able to just switch out the motherboard and keep the CPU. And because of this, I was not able to find out which exact component is causing this problem. But I have seen from some other forums saying what I am experiencing could be CPU related, so I wasn't sure. If it is a problem with the pcie, is there a troubleshooting method?

I am not too certain what you are referring to when you say Windows Repair, sorry. But I have tried reinstalling windows a couple of times.

Thank You.

Oct 3, 2020
Thank you for your reply.

I just tried moving the GPU down a slot into the second PCIe slot and............ ethernet port stopped working.. haha.
I tried switching the GPU back to the first slot and still no fix on the ethernet port. It is just glowing amber light without any connection. I also tried with a different ethernet cable and still no luck. I have no idea what I did haha. I also tried resetting BIOS by taking out the mobo battery but nothing changed. I made sure I turned off all the power before I switched the pcie slot. Did I do something wrong?

And for your windows repair, I am pretty sure I have done that before. Though I was going to do it again, this happened.

Oct 3, 2020
I can't test the GPU currently as my other build is being used by someone else, it should be fine, hopefully. But I have tried the 1050ti and nothing changed, the ethernet port still not working.

But in terms of the motherboard, I have already submitted an RMA and I am waiting for the confirmation. I really can't think of other possibilities other than a faulty PCIe port or whatever that is on my motherboard. Would be a bummer if it turned out to be a CPU issue as its the only other hardware that I couldn't replace. Also, now that I do not have an internet connection, more troubleshooting other than swapping hardware would be a lot more work than I would like, and really I can't think of anything else haha.

But, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas regarding this issue please let me know.

Thank you for all your replies :)

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
If you pull the motherboard out use a magnifying glass to check the CPU pins.
I recently had another head scratcher where in the end both my motherboard and cpu were faulty. It took months to sort out thanks to covid.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts