Games crashing - fluctuating 12v readings

turboknee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
OK so I've posted quite a few...posts...on here about issues with my computer since it was rebuilt in December. My dad gave me 5 year old pc and I replaced MOBO/cpu, GPU, and RAM (Athlon ii x3 455/ Asus m5a97, HD6770 1gb, 8gb Kingston Hyperx) but left the old HDD and PSU in the case to save $$. 680w basic PSU

I have had issues with Windows 7 getting corrupted and needing reinstalls, games crashing causing other programs to crash and stop working including Chrome, Asus AI suite, etc, some BSOD's related to both my wireless nic and GPU...the list goes on.

I had attributed this all to a bad reboxed HD6770 i got cheap at Fry's. I returned the GPU 2 days ago and got a GTX 550ti that seemed to fix the issue and then the issues started again today. Skyrim crashed causing strange graphics issue with Chrome and then Chrome crashed. Could not restart or run any other games or Chrome until after reboot. Exaclty what happened with the HD6770!

So now i'm convinced it's bad PSU but i want to get other opinions prior to working on getting a new one. Mind you I have like $15 to my name and will need to borrow the $ or sell something asap but I REALLY want to fix this before the PSU damages something irreparably (if it hasn't already).

Here's the current issues which are strange. After i rebooted following the Skyrim crash I was able to launch Skyrim but when i tried to run Afterburner to monitor the game it crashed again. I find I cannot run Skyrim with afterburner or Asus AI suite running (possibly the sensor draws more power from psu?) So i tried Amalur which ran fine on 1920/1080 and monitored 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rails. the 3.3v and 5v stayed at 3.288v and 5.1v but the 12v fluctuated from 11.891 - 11.76.

So can i confidently chalk this up to a bad PSU? thanks in advance for all the help this community has provided. You have all taught me sooo much.

turboknee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
update. I just removed my psu to clean it and looked through the clear plastic covering it has over it. I could see yellow melted rubber in there but could not find the source. stupid question: is that some normal insulation material or did some wire melt?

turboknee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
so the yellow melted stuff is what? and with my specs how much wattage would i need on a new one? and should i immediately stop using my computer until i can replace it? or do these issues indicate i've permanently damaged my hardware?

i'm freaking out and so frustrated at the months of problems and $$ spent on fixing the wrong things and potentially damaging the things i've replaced.

turboknee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011

DSCF1338.jpg

see the caps and such covered in melty looking yellow goop. but not sure if the caps are leaking or what. the largest cap has some loose wrapping. its clear to me this needs to be replaced asap. i'm just concerned the games crashing and such are indicative of permanently dmg'd hardware somewhere due to the bad psu