Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z790-H
Ram: Corsair Dominator 64gb (2x32 5200mhz) cas40 latency
SSD/HDD: Sabrent Rocket 2tb m.2 NVME gen4
GPU: MSI Gaming TRIO RTX 4080
PSU: Corsair RM1000X Shift
Chassis: Corsair 5000D Airflow
Monitor: Asus TUF VG249 144mhz 1080p

Here is my issue:

This is my first build of a PC and the PC was running perfect and great for roughly two weeks. All of a sudden Dead by Daylight would begin crashing in game back to the desktop to a unrecognizable fatal error. This progressively got worse until finally the game would crash with the fatal error on launch. At the time only dead by daylight was crashing and then all of a sudden other games like Forza Horizon 5 would also crash to desktop with a fatal error. Now all my graphic intensive games that are installed are crashing with a fatal error (Back for blood, dead by daylight, apex legends, black ops cold war, even path of exile).

The only games that can be played without crashing currently that are installed are dota 2, V rising, and Diablo immortal. After extensive troubleshooting myself, I even reached out to three different technicians who also could not figure out the issue. I am not having any BSODs, and the operating system runs completely fine. It's only gaming. Here is a an extensive list of everything I have already tried so far:

1. Verify integrity and repaired games
2. Uninstalled and re-installed games
3. Multiple DDU drive uninstalls from safe mode and re-install of graphics drivers along with multiple sfc /scannow repairs
4. Five different fresh windows installs with three being a clean wipe of the hard drive.
5. Bought new 2x16gb DDR5 corsair vengeance RAM and swapped out my current ram, still crashed.
6. Swapped my samsung EVO 2TB NVMe to my current Sabrent Rocket 2TB with a fresh windows install in case it was a hard drive issue
7. Replaced my RTX 3080ti founders edition with MSi gaming trio RTX 4080
8. Tried three different BIOS updates from ASUS website (0813, 0816, 0904)
9. Changed RAM voltages in case ram wasn't getting enough power
10. Tried Multiple different RAM frequencies (3200, 4800, 5200mhz)
11. Full 4/4 pass memtest86 on RAM with no errors
12. Benchmarked GPU/CPU and stress tested with no crashes and no overheating

I am truly at a loss and so are the three technicians I have asked. My bank account is really taking a hit from my first PC build with the hardware I have been replacing and it has really made me regret not going to another company to just build for me. I have been troubleshooting this now for about 4 days and nobody can figure this out. The last technician said he was 90% certain it was my RAM, so I bought new RAM and it didn't work. Games still crashed. The last technician had told me that he is pretty sure it must be a compatibility issue with my motherboard and DDR5 ram so now I have an MSI z790 Carbon on the way. If anyone has ANY idea what is going on, or to maybe just confirm that it truly sounds like a motherboard issue, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you!

-Donnie

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023
Hello there, I know your pain. I also have an annoying problem.

So some questions : your pc restart alone ? or power off ? or just the game shutdown?

-Try to disabling windows restart option in case of failure

Did you look at the event viewer of windows ? In case there is logs.

Can you try different monitor cable in ur graphics card please

Waiting for your new motherboard

May 9, 2023
Hello there, I know your pain. I also have an annoying problem.

So some questions : your pc restart alone ? or power off ? or just the game shutdown?

-Try to disabling windows restart option in case of failure

Did you look at the event viewer of windows ? In case there is logs.

Can you try different monitor cable in ur graphics card please

Waiting for your new motherboard
Thank you for the reply! No my PC doesn't restart alone or power off, the games just crash straight to the desktop with fatal errors. Switching monitor cables didn't do anything unfortunately.

I should have mentioned also that I have tried older GPU drivers. I have tried the driver from April 18th (531.68) which is the driver that was being used when everything was working perfectly fine when I first built the PC.

Also, Dead by Daylight generates it's own Unreal Log but none of the error messages are on google or any forums. All I see is a Win64_shipping error but its all 0's. (i.e. 0x00000000000). Below the multiple win_64 shipping errors in the log, there is a kernel32 error and a ntdll error and they are also all 0's. Of note, the event viewer also doesn't seem to generate any log related to a game crash but it has had a lot of errors since my last fresh windows install which was two days ago (the event viewer has always been giving a lot of errors through all these fresh windows installs) which the technicians also said was odd and shouldn't be happening.

What is also weird are these crashes are intermittent. I woke up this morning and all these games will launch and play fine. But like yesterday morning, in a couple of hours the crashes will begin again. I just hope that one of you more experienced folks may also think it's a motherboard compatibility issue and I didn't waste my money on a new motherboard. These dollar signs are really starting to hurt with all this hardware I have to keep buying to figure this out. I REALLY do not want to buy a new CPU, but everything I have read and heard tells me my computer would have way more serious problems with my PC than games crashing to the desktop if I had a faulty CPU.

Link to the Error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.