[SOLVED] Games crashing suddenly

Dec 18, 2021
Hi. I've an ASUS TUF 3080 TI Gaming OC. Recently and suddenly all my games started crashing, everything worked fine before, but suddenly every single game is crashing. I haven't overclocked anything on my PC. I have an 850W PSU. I have even tried to uninstall and reinstall Nvidia drivers, tested some solutions but nothing seem to work. I also upgraded to windows 11 just in case, and the crashes still remaining. Games are just crashing with no error code. Anyone have some thoughts about this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi. I've an ASUS TUF 3080 TI Gaming OC. Recently and suddenly all my games started crashing, everything worked fine before, but suddenly every single game is crashing. I haven't overclocked anything on my PC. I have an 850W PSU. I have even tried to uninstall and reinstall Nvidia drivers, tested some solutions but nothing seem to work. I also upgraded to windows 11 just in case, and the crashes still remaining. Games are just crashing with no error code. Anyone have some thoughts about this. Thanks.
List your full system specs along with the EXACT make and model of your PSU. 850w is just the wattage.

Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers. Not just uninstall and reinstall. Follow this guide...
List your full system specs along with the EXACT make and model of your PSU. 850w is just the wattage.

Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers. Not just uninstall and reinstall. Follow this guide:

When you say games crash, what is it happening exactly? Do they crash to desktop, freeze, lag, have artifacts?

Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.

Solution
Dec 18, 2021

Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers. Not just uninstall and reinstall. Follow this guide:

When you say games crash, what is it happening exactly? Do they crash to desktop, freeze, lag, have artifacts?

Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.

Thanks for your reply, Those are my specs. I already tried the ddu solution, but unfortunately the problem remains.
PC specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
  • ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING
  • Asus ROG Strix 850W- BF21
  • Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance
  • NZXT Kraken x73 White CPU Cooler
  • ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC 12GB Gaming
I tried to capture the error on event viewer also :
- Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Those are the results after using Userbenchmark:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48810948

UserBenchmarks: Game 227%, Desk 101%, Work 262%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 97.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080-Ti - 238.9%
SSD: Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 232.6%
SSD: Kingston SNVS2000G 2TB - 253.5%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB (2017) - 88.9%
USB: TOSHIBA External USB 3.0 2TB - 44.1%
RAM: Corsair CMH32GX4M2E3200C16 4x16GB - 98.9%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

Most games crash to desktop with absolutely no error code, or they remain with sound but with black screen. some of them say that "The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application". I really had no issues before, just yesterday, games started crashing whenever they started loading campaign, some just crash before even pressing play.
Thanks

From the userbenchmark I can see that you have a very high background CPU usage. You need to close every other applications when you run it. Preferably you restart the system and let it sit idle for 5 mins then run it.

Also you have not enabled XMP/DOCP for your RAM which when enabled you get a big performance boost in games.

The limited search I had the time to do about your error usually ended up in gpu RMA. Is that an option for you?

Before that though I would try some more things. Using older GPU driver version, trying the GPU in another system and lastly a clean windows installation that has the necessary drivers installed and 2-3 games only, to ensure it's not software related.

Dec 18, 2021
From the userbenchmark I can see that you have a very high background CPU usage. You need to close every other applications when you run it. Preferably you restart the system and let it sit idle for 5 mins then run it.

Also you have not enabled XMP/DOCP for your RAM which when enabled you get a big performance boost in games.

The limited search I had the time to do about your error usually ended up in gpu RMA. Is that an option for you?

Before that though I would try some more things. Using older GPU driver version, trying the GPU in another system and lastly a clean windows installation that has the necessary drivers installed and 2-3 games only, to ensure it's not software related.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Yeah actually I just disabled DOCP just to see if that could've been the issue but I always enable it. I'm now resetting my windows which is a very painful method to do. But I'll try to reinstall everything again and if that doesn't fix the issue then I'm returning the card.
I'll see if resetting windows solve the issue and post it here again.
Thanks again

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Yeah actually I just disabled DOCP just to see if that could've been the issue but I always enable it. I'm now resetting my windows which is a very painful method to do. But I'll try to reinstall everything again and if that doesn't fix the issue then I'm returning the card.
I'll see if resetting windows solve the issue and post it here again.
Thanks again
No, don't reset windows. It does not help. CLEAN INSTALLATION is needed. Also try first the older GPU drivers and the GPU in another system before the clean windows install.

Dec 19, 2021

So, we have some of the same components; however, I have a zotac 3080 to trinity. Today, I came home and all of my games are suddenly crashing to desktop. It’s the weirdest thing…

this is the supposed behavior for consumer gaming PC
I would somewhat agree if they were say, 6-7 years old PCs with older gen hardware. They are not. Also, the link you provided is for something entirely different. So, nothing to do with the situation here.
Sometimes cheaper thing costs more.
This is very true and I agree, but his setup is far from being cheap. On the contrary, everything is high end and expensive. Again, nothing to do with the situation here.

Dec 18, 2021
No, don't reset windows. It does not help. CLEAN INSTALLATION is needed. Also try first the older GPU drivers and the GPU in another system before the clean windows install.
Thanks you for this. I tried old drivers today and made a clean installation. Nothing seems to work. This is the weirdest thing that happened to me. But I contacted the place I bought my GPU from and now am sending it back. I have also opened a ticket on Nvidia and sent them some data. We'll see what they will say about this. Thanks again

Dec 18, 2021
So, we have some of the same components; however, I have a zotac 3080 to trinity. Today, I came home and all of my games are suddenly crashing to desktop. It’s the weirdest thing…
Yeah I really haven't experienced something like this before. It's tedious. But I'll see what Nvidia say after sending them some test data.

Dec 18, 2021
Any update?
Yeah. I got some info about how to manage the settings in Nvidia control panel and Xbox game bar in windows, None of them worked for me actually. My games are still crashing, but not all games. Old games like Dark souls 3, Path of exile and CS are playable. Halo, Apex Legends, Squad, BF v etc are crashing.

Try those settings that Nvidia recommended. I'm almost certain by now that it's a GPU problem. And if you got the time update the thread also after those settings would be great. Thanks

Kindly try these settings from Windows Game settings and NVIDIA Control panel, Apply the settings and also Adjust the Graphics preset within the games and monitor the behavior

- Disable the GameDVR:

• Open Xbox app, you can access it via the start menu search.

• Sign in - this should be automatic if you normal sign into Windows.

• The cog in the bottom left access the settings menu.

• Head to GameDVR at the top and turn it off.
Also, disable game bar in windows settings:

• Go into Windows Settings

• From Settings, select "Gaming"

• Select Game bar from the left hand column. Check that "Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar" is off. Uncheck "Show Game bar when I play full screen games Microsoft has verified.
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4452/

Assign the GPU as the physx processor instead of setting it to Auto from NVIDIA Control Panel.
This will take of the Physx processing load from the CPU.

Open NVIDIA control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings and please make the following changes:
Antialiasing: OFF
CUDA-GPUS: All
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Power management: Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: On
texture filtering - Quality: High Performance
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: Off
Threading Optimization: Disabled
Vertical Sync: Off

Best Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Dec 19, 2021
Could you run a benchmark? Like 3dMarks or something? I’d be interested if that would make it crash. Honestly, it doesn’t sound like a defective GPU issue to me— I still think there is something else going on.

Dec 18, 2021
Could you run a benchmark? Like 3dMarks or something? I’d be interested if that would make it crash. Honestly, it doesn’t sound like a defective GPU issue to me— I still think there is something else going on.

I did actually. I stress tested the CPUand the GPU simultaneously . Nothing crashed for 30 min. It could still be a GPU problem but could also be a driver problem.