Question Games Crashing to Desktop or Not Running at All!

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
Components:
Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT BE (Model 11296-05-20G)
Corsair Vengeance C18 3600mghz 2x8
AsRock B450m Pro 4
Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze
Nvme 500gb WD SN750
Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD
TP Link AX3000 Wifi 6 Bluetooth card
darkFlash DLM 21 Mesh Case

On avg the GPU temps are sub 65° C and the CPU being sub 70° C but probably less than that.

This is my first ever build, and it's newly built. I've tried playing games such as CSGO and For Honor with major problems.

First off, CSGO would freeze up on a single gram but still run as if nothing was wrong (I could hear the game still running correctly.) When I would restart it, it would blackscreen or crash to desktop after a few minutes of playing. And I had noticed weird texture malfunctions like shadows popping in and out and textures popping from green to the texture (but it was on a workshop map.)

I then tried to play Fallout 1, and it wouldn't even get to the main menu, it got stuck on a blackscreen, and when I went to desktop it didn't even show it running in my taskbar. I had to go to the task manager and run it from there, and it just showed a black screen and played the first few seconds of the intro sequence on repeat until I closed it.

I then tried to run MSI afterburners benchmark at 1080p and it just showed a blackscreen with partial colored screen tears and then either crash to desktop or I had gone back. After closing it, it ran it (or something else) again and wouldn't let me go to desktop, so I shut down the PC.

I then tried running For Honor, which crashed immediately, then again after a minute, twice.

It seems like I'm able to browse the internet and watch YT videos with no problem other than Chrome having the occasional "Aw Snap".

I am now running memtest, and on the first pass test (or the first out of 4 tests idk what it's called) it had 52 reports and now 123+ halfway through the second (again pass test 2/4 or something idk).

To me it seems like it's either, the GPU, the RAM for sure, or MOBO, with the CPU being a suspect but seems unlikely.

Although, I still haven't updated the MOBO BIOS the latest, but the update I have being maybe months older than the other. After the memtest that's what I wanted to do.

Again, for the most part it just seems like it's games or intensive applications that's the problem.

I have been waiting 3+ years to build a PC, and this has been my number one fear, please, I need help.

Well start with the easy stuff.
Video driver for one. My experience so far with the 28.xx drivers has not been desirable, quite unstable really. Try the 27.xx drivers.

Second try a different gpu 8 pin connector and wire if you have it.
Use a different connecter on the psu. Reseat your graphics card.
Pull it out completely with you computer unplugged.
Put it backin and try the new power port on the psu like I mentioned above. Sometimes it's just a poor connection.

"On avg the GPU temps are sub 65° C and the CPU being sub 70° C but probably less than that. "

Is that under load?

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
Well start with the easy stuff.
Video driver for one. My experience so far with the 28.xx drivers has not been desirable, quite unstable really. Try the 27.xx drivers.

Second try a different gpu 8 pin connector and wire if you have it.
Use a different connecter on the psu. Reseat your graphics card.
Pull it out completely with you computer unplugged.
Put it backin and try the new power port on the psu like I mentioned above. Sometimes it's just a poor connection.

"On avg the GPU temps are sub 65° C and the CPU being sub 70° C but probably less than that. "

Is that under load?
Yes that's under load, running CS so not very intensive. I have already tried taking out the GPU, but not the PSU pins I'll give that a try.

I don't know if I have tried the 28 or 27 series of drivers but I'll also look into that.

So, it is most likely my GPU then? Currently my memtest for my RAM is on the 4th pass and has 252 reports.

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
252 memory errors is 252 too many.
Either you have a bad stick of ram or improperly configured memory.
Tell us more about the memory and settings.
I had it set to stock/auto settings both when playing and while I do this memtest. I have read that having that much can possibly be invalid. But I don't know if it's because of the RAM, CPU, or the MOBO, but I'm thinking RAM or MOBO because the RAM, I have heard isnt the best. I'm pretty sure auto is running at 2280mghz I think? Somewhere around there.

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
Components:
Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT BE (Model 11296-05-20G)
Corsair Vengeance C18 3600mghz 2x8
AsRock B450m Pro 4
Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze
Nvme 500gb WD SN750
Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD
TP Link AX3000 Wifi 6 Bluetooth card
darkFlash DLM 21 Mesh Case

On avg the GPU temps are sub 65° C and the CPU being sub 70° C but probably less than that.

This is my first ever build, and it's newly built. I've tried playing games such as CSGO and For Honor with major problems.

First off, CSGO would freeze up on a single gram but still run as if nothing was wrong (I could hear the game still running correctly.) When I would restart it, it would blackscreen or crash to desktop after a few minutes of playing. And I had noticed weird texture malfunctions like shadows popping in and out and textures popping from green to the texture (but it was on a workshop map.)

I then tried to play Fallout 1, and it wouldn't even get to the main menu, it got stuck on a blackscreen, and when I went to desktop it didn't even show it running in my taskbar. I had to go to the task manager and run it from there, and it just showed a black screen and played the first few seconds of the intro sequence on repeat until I closed it.

I then tried to run MSI afterburners benchmark at 1080p and it just showed a blackscreen with partial colored screen tears and then either crash to desktop or I had gone back. After closing it, it ran it (or something else) again and wouldn't let me go to desktop, so I shut down the PC.

I then tried running For Honor, which crashed immediately, then again after a minute, twice.

It seems like I'm able to browse the internet and watch YT videos with no problem other than Chrome having the occasional "Aw Snap".

I am now running memtest, and on the first pass test (or the first out of 4 tests idk what it's called) it had 52 reports and now 123+ halfway through the second (again pass test 2/4 or something idk).

To me it seems like it's either, the GPU, the RAM for sure, or MOBO, with the CPU being a suspect but seems unlikely.

Although, I still haven't updated the MOBO BIOS the latest, but the update I have being maybe months older than the other. After the memtest that's what I wanted to do.

Again, for the most part it just seems like it's games or intensive applications that's the problem.

I have been waiting 3+ years to build a PC, and this has been my number one fear, please, I need help.
I ran a memtest on each stick in the A2 slot, and one was defective, I ran it with the single stick. Ran like a charm. I'm getting a different kit most likely a GSkill ripjaw. But still uneasy about it being not just Ram and maybe the Mobo

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes that's under load, running CS so not very intensive. I have already tried taking out the GPU, but not the PSU pins I'll give that a try.

I don't know if I have tried the 28 or 27 series of drivers but I'll also look into that.

So, it is most likely my GPU then? Currently my memtest for my RAM is on the 4th pass and has 252 reports.
One fail is a fail 252 is 252 to many!

You can't test your memory just running 1 stick at a time it don't work like that!

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I tested it with both at first had 100+ reports, then tested both, one stick had 252 and the other had none, why would testing like this not work?
The memory should of been bought in a matched set, as 1 package including 2 sticks tested to work together by the manufacturer. You can send it in for warranty but their replacing both sticks with another matched set, so their no reason to test each stick. If you buy a matched set and it don't work it don't work their not going to tell you to send the single bad stick back they will replace both with another matched set.

So testing single sticks was really just wasting time.

Reactions: Phaaze88

AngelofXxDeAtHxX

Prominent
Aug 8, 2020
The memory should of been bought in a matched set, as 1 package including 2 sticks tested to work together by the manufacturer. You can send it in for warranty but their replacing both sticks with another matched set, so their no reason to test each stick. If you buy a matched set and it don't work it don't work their not going to tell you to send the single bad stick back they will replace both with another matched set.

So testing single sticks was really just wasting time.
This is a recent build, so I'm sending the kit (2x8 kit) back to Amazon for a refund, and then I'm going to buy a different kit because I can get faster RAM at the same or a cheaper price. And I tested individually to make sure that it was only the RAM that was causing problems, to make sure I wouldn't have to send anything else back or troubleshoot more, because now that I know that I have one stick that works I used that stick to stress test the build, and it passed it as it seems to be running perfectly now.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This is a recent build, so I'm sending the kit (2x8 kit) back to Amazon for a refund, and then I'm going to buy a different kit because I can get faster RAM at the same or a cheaper price. And I tested individually to make sure that it was only the RAM that was causing problems, to make sure I wouldn't have to send anything else back or troubleshoot more, because now that I know that I have one stick that works I used that stick to stress test the build, and it passed it as it seems to be running perfectly now.
Same thing when it fails memtest it failed so their were really nothing else to do since you were running at stock speed without XMP/DOCP.

If you were running it at a OC speed then all bets are fairly off since any overclock setting is not guaranteed.
3600 with 19 cas is rather bad memory anyhow should be looking for 16 cas not 19.