[SOLVED] Games crashing to desktop with no errors

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
I've been having this issue for a little while now. I've only seen it happen on Rainbow Six Siege and Destiny 2, but I've only played those two games for any length of time. The games will simply close to desktop at a random time while playing. Sometimes it happens within 5 minutes of opening the game, other times it takes hours.

All the drivers on my pc, as well as my chipset, BIOS, windows and security, are up to date. The event log displays error 455: svchost (16016,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log. No other events are displayed. My setup is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
Cooler: Wraith Spire
MB: MSI B450-A Pro
GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060
RAM: Patriot Viper 4 16GB 3200 MHz
Storage: 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500Gb SSD, 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
PSU: EVGA 650 B3

This has only recently started happening. I've had the PC for a few months. PC temps are in the mid to high 60s during gameplay.

Any ideas?

Solution
Is your memory set to 3200 in your BIOS? If so, try reducing to the default DDR4 speed of 2133. See if the system will operate in a stable condition there.

Are you using 1x16GB or 2x8GB or 4x4GB for your memory config?

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, or memory)?

Have you tested your memory with a tool like memtest?

I'm not overclocking anything. I've thoroughly tested my memory, which is on the QVL for my motherboard, and it has no issues. Memory load during gameplay never goes above about 60%.

EDIT: I should mention that I'm using XMP with my memory, but I don't consider it an issue because a) I've used it this way for months with no issue, and b) the profile is a function of the motherboard so I don't consider it an overclock.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is your memory set to 3200 in your BIOS? If so, try reducing to the default DDR4 speed of 2133. See if the system will operate in a stable condition there.

Are you using 1x16GB or 2x8GB or 4x4GB for your memory config?

Solution

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
I'm using 2x8 for my ram. It's set to 3200 in BIOS, and has operated at that speed with no issue for at least 5 months. I'm using a Ryzen system which are known to have stability issues below 3000 mHz, It should be noted that I can use any program on my computer for any length of time (e.g. internet browsing, programs such as Solidworks or Word) with no issues. My games are the only currently identified source of the error.

I could turn the speed down if you really think it's necessary, but I very strongly doubt that doing so will do anything but introduce another source of error since I already know my memory is not faulty.

Sanegency

Prominent
Feb 25, 2019
Intent is to stabilize system, if possible, to rule out possible issues.
I've changed my bios settings. Somehow my ram speed was already set back to 2133. The most likely culprit is the MOBO swap i did recently. I bumped it back up to 3200, and it's now been 2 days with no crashes. I'm not sure if the problem is solved or if I'm just lucky with random crashes. I'll update with any more info if I get it. If i don't get any more crashes in a few days I'll mark the thread solved.