Question Games Crashing

Aug 22, 2019
I have recently upgraded my system (April 2019).

The RAM installed is Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600MHz DDR4 Memory. Once the build was completed we checked the RAM clock speed in the BIOS - it was set at default 2666mhz. Since the RAM stated speed is 3600mhz, we changed the clock speed to 3600mhz.

Initially the system worked fine but games started crashing randomly (BF1, F12018). Changing the memory speed back to default fixed the crashing issue - but then running at 2666mhz.

A friend of mine built the exact same system at the same time. Also changed the clock speed to 3600mhz. His system worked fine until last week when he also started experiencing random crashes.

All other BIOS settings left on default and XMP is disabled - not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Are we missing something with the clock speed? My knowledge of the subject is relatively limited.

Rest of the system details:
Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 ROG Strix (other system is running a GTX 1080)
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 PCI-e Gen 3.0 x 4
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
750w PSU (other system has a 1000w)

Hi, what 750w and 1000w PSUs are they? If they are low quality, they might be coming to the end of their lives.

When you set the RAM to 3600, did you do it manually or via XMP. If manually, I'd suggest you try XMP, to see if that fixes the crashes.

Lastly, with XMP enabled, I'd recommend downloading Memtest86 and flashing it to a USB with Rufus. Boot into this USB and run about 5 passes to see whether it detects any errors.

Aug 22, 2019
Hi, what 750w and 1000w PSUs are they? If they are low quality, they might be coming to the end of their lives.

When you set the RAM to 3600, did you do it manually or via XMP. If manually, I'd suggest you try XMP, to see if that fixes the crashes.

Lastly, with XMP enabled, I'd recommend downloading Memtest86 and flashing it to a USB with Rufus. Boot into this USB and run about 5 passes to see whether it detects any errors.
Hi

Thanks for the response, PSU is Corsair HX series. Should not be a issue.

We set the RAM manually, not via XMP. Will test the XMP method and then check if it worked.

Reactions: ConanLock