Question Games crashing

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everyone first off here my pc

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...zd9jJ7_6i1EJyTghp6hoCwqYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

iv posted here before and everyone was super helpful and friendly. so i bought this pre-built maybe 2 months ago or so, have played WoW classic and retail on it, gears 5 and recently the new CoD. I have no experienced any crashes in any game except call of duty. First it would crash during the first 30 seconds of gameplay, not on the loading screens or gun customization or anything, just in a match. i think i fixed that problem. just recently it would crash randomly, first game, 5 games in whenever. my second monitor goes black, main display with cod on it stays frozen and i get a error message when i ctrl alt delete and need to hard shut down and re boot. anyone else experience these issues on the CoD game or is it my pc? i have not read many good things about the PC version of call of duty so im hoping thats it.

Hey there,

Your PC is a pretty strong performer gaming wise. Very capable at 1080p/1440p.

It's quite possible it's the PSU in the PC. Not providing enough power, when both the CPU and GPU need it. So, when you game (at load) the PSU can't handle it and causes the PC to crash. With that said the crashes you described aren't exactly the same as you'd expect when it's a PSU issue. Normally when the PSU is the problem, the PC will just randomly restart. But, the pre-built HP/Dell machines use PSU that 'just' get by.

I can't tell from the specs on the HP website what PSU you have, and/or what mobo you have to determine, if the mobo is not proprietary and you can swap out your existing PSU with another of quality.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hey there,

Your PC is a pretty strong performer gaming wise. Very capable at 1080p/1440p.

It's quite possible it's the PSU in the PC. Not providing enough power, when both the CPU and GPU need it. So, when you game (at load) the PSU can't handle it and causes the PC to crash. With that said the crashes you described aren't exactly the same as you'd expect when it's a PSU issue. Normally when the PSU is the problem, the PC will just randomly restart. But, the pre-built HP/Dell machines use PSU that 'just' get by.

I can't tell from the specs on the HP website what PSU you have, and/or what mobo you have to determine, if the mobo is not proprietary and you can swap out your existing PSU with another of quality.

It is beyond comprehension to me how these stores never list the power supply or motherboard in the specifications list, the two most important parts of a PC to me. This is one reason why I never advise anyone buy pre built PC's from anyone. You don't know what you are paying for. 🙃

Hey everyone first off here my pc

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...zd9jJ7_6i1EJyTghp6hoCwqYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

iv posted here before and everyone was super helpful and friendly. so i bought this pre-built maybe 2 months ago or so, have played WoW classic and retail on it, gears 5 and recently the new CoD. I have no experienced any crashes in any game except call of duty. First it would crash during the first 30 seconds of gameplay, not on the loading screens or gun customization or anything, just in a match. i think i fixed that problem. just recently it would crash randomly, first game, 5 games in whenever. my second monitor goes black, main display with cod on it stays frozen and i get a error message when i ctrl alt delete and need to hard shut down and re boot. anyone else experience these issues on the CoD game or is it my pc? i have not read many good things about the PC version of call of duty so im hoping thats it.

😑 Sigh, gosh dammit, had to be an HP computer. Check the bios for this thing and make sure its up to date. I always start there from here on in. Since Best Buy didn't consider the motherboard important enough to list in the specs, you'll have to check it yourself. Just type 'system information' in the search bar. Based on my own experience with HP, it is the last company I'd buy any PC from, especially for gaming. Check the link below, click on 'software and drivers', follow the steps and see if they offer anything for the bios. They sure as hell didn't for my old HP computer, and that was the deal breaker for me. Lets hope these clowns will at least show some sense with their alleged gaming PC's.

Link: OMEN by HP Obelisk

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
The CPU in that system runs pretty hot IIRC. If it's not a power issue, I do wonder if it's overheating.

Download and run this program:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Run one of your games for a bit and when you close post the scores, at least the CPU core temps and the Video card temps.
i have done a lot of research on the temps prior to this using this same website actually and i never got any bad responses about the pc running hot, i know some people have added fans to the pc , but my temps seem fine according to the weeks of research i did :S

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Looking at your pics, if you are going by an app that says your idle CPU temp is -1, 62 is extremely hot (possibly throttling). I suggest you try the app I linked above and see what your temps REALLY are.
Well that’s what it was when it crashed . Before it crashed it was Running about 80% cpu and 90% gpu and I’ve been told those numbers are fine when gaming heavily. The temps iv also posted on here before and people have wrote back they’re fine.. the app has the green yellow red sensors iv never seen it about green 🤦🏻‍♂️

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Well that’s what it was when it crashed . Before it crashed it was Running about 80% cpu and 90% gpu and I’ve been told those numbers are fine when gaming heavily. The temps iv also posted on here before and people have wrote back they’re fine.. the app has the green yellow red sensors iv never seen it about green 🤦🏻‍♂️

Did you find out what HP is offering for a bios update though? Your computer shouldn't be crashing just because it hit 80°C when the max temperatures are typically up 90°C. 60°C- 70°C is nothing, and is perfectly normal when not overclocking.

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Did you find out what HP is offering for a bios update though? Your computer shouldn't be crashing just because it hit 80°C when the max temperatures are typically up 90°C. 60°C- 70°C is nothing, and is perfectly normal when not overclocking.

I did the windows 10 optimize it was like a 45 minute video on YouTube lol. But I did try to enter bios and I was hitting “f10” it brought me to a bios set up screen and not really an option to see updates so maybe I went to the wrong place I’ll have to try again today after work.