Question Games crashing!

Sep 1, 2021
Hello! I am hoping one of you brilliant people can help me out!

I have been going through the forums but I can't find anything that quite matches my experience. Recently several games all started crashing. It started with Cyberpunk 2077 so I figured it was just that, but now It Takes 2, Blade and sorcery, Gorn and 7 Days to die all crash on me . Sometimes I get an "out of memory" error, but I have gotten several different kinds of errors when trying to launch cyberpunk. But if I'm running chrome on my other monitor, it'll crash that too. Smaller games have not had problems, been playing a bunch of Storybook Brawl since I can't seem to run anything else. Sometimes the games just CTD, sometimes I get error messages, and sometimes my screens go black and I have to manually restart the system. I also got an Insufficient Vram error in It Takes 2.

What typically happens is that I can launch into the menus no problem, but as soon as I launch into the game or try to load something it crashes. This is especially weird with Blade and Sorcery since I can be in the home area and move freely but as soon as I try to load a level it crashes.

To be clear, I have many hours in all of these games on this system, the issues started recently. I have altered two things recently so I assume it's related to one of them: I added a second monitor to my setup, and I added a new SSD that I moved my games to. I have been watching my system performance in task manager and nothing weird happens when these games crash.

My Setup:
Motherboard: X570 Phantom Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070super
16gb crucial ballistix RAM
PSU: Seasonic 750w 80plus Gold
VR stuff running through Virtual Desktop in a Quest 2

I have a 1tb NVMe drive that I was using as my sole storage, I just added a 2Tb Samsung SSD that I now run my games off of.

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it, this has been killing me for a bit now.

Sep 1, 2021
Is your GPU drivers up to date? Try updating your GPU drivers.
I thought I included that but I must have taken it out, oops! Yes I have already updated them. I even uninstalled and reinstalled them. As well as reinstalling the games or moving them back to the NMVe drive where I moved them from. I have also tried running only one monitor, cleaning out the system for dust, wiping the stored cache memory( Whatever it's called) among other things which really I should have kept a better record of what I was trying, lol. But thank you for your response!

Hi maximus , i have pasted a link to an article that you may find useful.
Pay particular to the section to section 4 that tells you how to increase virtual memory , when you find the section set the memory size to slightly higher than windows is recommending.

Many years ago pc's use to tell you it was low on memory ( virtual ) and it asked you if you wanted windows to adjust it for you but this does not seem to happen now.

Also , as mentioned in the article take a look in start up menu and see how many items you have running from boot up , i only have anti virus and realtek sound running.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021
Hi maximus , i have pated a link to an article that you may find useful.
Pay particular to the section to section 4 that tells you how to increase virtual memory , when you find the section set the memory size to slightly higher than windows is recommending.

Many years ago pc's use to tell you it was low on memory ( virtual ) and it asked you if you wanted windows to adjust it for you but this does not seem to happen now.

Also , as mentioned in the article take a look in start up menu and see how many items you have running from boot up , i only have anti virus and realtek sound running.
Alright, I'll take a look. Is that something that can change suddenly after 8 months of use?

Hello! I am hoping one of you brilliant people can help me out!

I have been going through the forums but I can't find anything that quite matches my experience. Recently several games all started crashing. It started with Cyberpunk 2077 so I figured it was just that, but now It Takes 2, Blade and sorcery, Gorn and 7 Days to die all crash on me . Sometimes I get an "out of memory" error, but I have gotten several different kinds of errors when trying to launch cyberpunk. But if I'm running chrome on my other monitor, it'll crash that too. Smaller games have not had problems, been playing a bunch of Storybook Brawl since I can't seem to run anything else. Sometimes the games just CTD, sometimes I get error messages, and sometimes my screens go black and I have to manually restart the system. I also got an Insufficient Vram error in It Takes 2.

What typically happens is that I can launch into the menus no problem, but as soon as I launch into the game or try to load something it crashes. This is especially weird with Blade and Sorcery since I can be in the home area and move freely but as soon as I try to load a level it crashes.

To be clear, I have many hours in all of these games on this system, the issues started recently. I have altered two things recently so I assume it's related to one of them: I added a second monitor to my setup, and I added a new SSD that I moved my games to. I have been watching my system performance in task manager and nothing weird happens when these games crash.

My Setup:
Motherboard: X570 Phantom Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070super
16gb crucial ballistix RAM
PSU: Seasonic 750w 80plus Gold
VR stuff running through Virtual Desktop in a Quest 2

I have a 1tb NVMe drive that I was using as my sole storage, I just added a 2Tb Samsung SSD that I now run my games off of.

If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it, this has been killing me for a bit now.

How old is your Windows installation?

Chipset drivers up to date too ?

I would try to eliminate variables:

1. You use 2 monitors, then leave only one runing, unplug and power off the other one.

2. Do you have 2x8GB of RAM, or only one 16GB stick?, If its 2x8GB I will try both sticks separately. Leave 1 in turn on your PC and play one of the crashing games, see how it goes. After a while try the other one.

3. VR stuff, unplug everything and close all programs while you test #1 and #2.

Sep 1, 2021
apologies max i got interupted by a phone call , only just noticed i did not do link

and yes it will suddenly change if programs running in the background have increase.

type memory diagnosis into search box and let it run , it will tell you if you have a memory problem but wont tell you which ram module it is.

Fix Your Computer Is Low On Memory Warning [SOLVED] - TechCult
Hello! Sorry for the delay, Ida flooded my gaming room so I've been dealing with that. Computer is all good though up on it's desk!

I went through the link you sent me and the first one of changing the paging file appears to have made a difference. It was set to not use paging files at all. Although, with so much ram left to spare at all times I'm confused why that would matter. I was able to launch into cyberpunk and play for a bit with no crashes though. But for some reason my task manager is saying that my GPU is at 0-2% utilization while playing. That doesn't seem right.

But hey, I can play the games so I'm happy, thank you!