[SOLVED] Games don't run smoothly despite more than capable system.

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
I built this pc about 2 weeks ago:

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16GB RAM (2 8gb sticks)
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

I also have a 4K 60hz monitor.

This system is supposed to play most games in 4K, on the highest settings. And it does, to an extend... I'll explain what I mean:

I've tested the following games, all in 3840x2160 60hz, Ultra settings, with Adaptive sync on, on both the monitor and the Amd radeon software as well as in-game with all the drivers up to date:

Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Far Cry Blood Dragon
Beyond Good and Evil
Q.U.B.E. 2
LEGO Batman

I'll take Assassin's Creed Syndicate as an example, but it's the same case for every other game on the list:

In the main menu, everything runs smoothly. Your character stands there looking around with very smooth animations. In-game, when the character is absolutely stationary, everything around also moves really smoothly, the npcs, the vehicles, the animals etc. But when I move the character around, both the character's and the camera's movement are somewhat laggy. I don't really know how to explain it, it's like a subtle flickering but it doesn't create any image distortion. It feels like the camera is struggling a bit to move. This "problem" doesn't render the games unplayable or anything, they otherwise run really well, but it's a tad annoying.

I've tried lowering the settings, turning Adaptive sync off, increasing/decreasing the sensitivity, using a controller, nothing works. And it's not an fps issue, I have a counter on the upper left corner and it doesn't drop from 60 while the problem occurs.

There are also games in which the problem doesn't occur at all, like (Yes, all the games, including the following, use the same settings) :

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Shadow Warrior
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Do you have anything in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
What speed RAM? Are they inside in the correct slots and running in dual channel mode?

BTW: I quickly checked out that website. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. Also, it appears they base the 4k settings at 30fps.

And currently the only 4k/60fps card available is the 2080ti. And it'sMUCH more powerful than a 5700xt. And even that beast of a card isn't a true 4k60fps ultra card as some games need the settings turned down to high, med-high in order to maintain 60fps.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I built this pc about 2 weeks ago:

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE 8GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16GB RAM (2 8gb sticks)
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

I also have a 4K 60hz monitor.

This system is supposed to play most games in 4K, on the highest settings. And it does, to an extend... I'll explain what I mean:

I've tested the following games, all in 3840x2160 60hz, Ultra settings, with Adaptive sync on, on both the monitor and the Amd radeon software as well as in-game with all the drivers up to date:

Assassin's Creed 2
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Far Cry Blood Dragon
Beyond Good and Evil
Q.U.B.E. 2
LEGO Batman

I'll take Assassin's Creed Syndicate as an example, but it's the same case for every other game on the list:

In the main menu, everything runs smoothly. Your character stands there looking around with very smooth animations. In-game, when the character is absolutely stationary, everything around also moves really smoothly, the npcs, the vehicles, the animals etc. But when I move the character around, both the character's and the camera's movement are somewhat laggy. I don't really know how to explain it, it's like a subtle flickering but it doesn't create any image distortion. It feels like the camera is struggling a bit to move. This "problem" doesn't render the games unplayable or anything, they otherwise run really well, but it's a tad annoying.

I've tried lowering the settings, turning Adaptive sync off, increasing/decreasing the sensitivity, using a controller, nothing works. And it's not an fps issue, I have a counter on the upper left corner and it doesn't drop from 60 while the problem occurs.

There are also games in which the problem doesn't occur at all, like (Yes, all the games, including the following, use the same settings) :

Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
Shadow Warrior
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Star Wars: The Old Republic

Do you have anything in mind?

Thanks in advance!
I think it's a little hard to understand the issue because it's not easy to describe your stutter. Could you send a video link with the issue?

ek_e123

Reputable
May 9, 2020
Where did you get the impression that a 5700XT is a 4k/60fps ultra card?

What is your monitor?

Monitor: https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VP28UQG/

As far as your first question goes, I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but in case you're not, there's a website called Game Debates where you can input your pc details and it gives you a detailed overview about what games you can run, in what settings and also the fps output.

What speed RAM? Are they inside in the correct slots and running in dual channel mode?

BTW: I quickly checked out that website. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt. Also, it appears they base the 4k settings at 30fps.

And currently the only 4k/60fps card available is the 2080ti. And it'sMUCH more powerful than a 5700xt. And even that beast of a card isn't a true 4k60fps ultra card as some games need the settings turned down to high, med-high in order to maintain 60fps.

Solution