Question Games drop fps to almost 2-5 fps after every 5 seconds! Help required!!

Oct 5, 2019
Hi!
I have HP omen 15-5010nr 4th gen gaming laptop!!
Core i7-4710HQ
*8GB RAM
256 GB SSD
2 GB Nvidia GTX 860M GPU

After playing few minutes of games like GTA V, Ace Combat: Skies Unknown, NFS Payback, FIFA 19 etc, the fps start to drop drastically after almost every 5 seconds.
Laptop becomes hot while gaming (this might be the issue), core temperatures rise upto 90-96 degree.
But the issue is that the temperatures are linked to clockspeed. Whenever I stress the cpu to max clock speed (almost 3.3-3.4 Ghz) the temperature of cpu rises instantly from 60 to 95-96. (Shouldn't it be rising gradually?). Also I changed the processor power state to 90% max and instantly the clock speed decreased and the temperature also decreased instantly.

When I played GTA V with90% state, the max temperature of the cpu remained in the 85-89 degree celcius limit (never exceeded 90). and the cpu clock speed remained within 1.9-2.2 GHz. At these settings, when I played GTA V at 20 fps, the temp and clock speed remained same and the game ran smoothly (no fps drop after 3 hours of continuous play) but when I increased the fps to 40-45, the temp and clock speed remained same (88 degree C and 2.1 GHz respectively) but the game started to drop fps after almost five minutes at 10-15 seconds interval. Same happened at 100% processor power state. At 20 fps the temperatures remained between 90-97 but the game ran smoothly at 20 fps at these high temperatures and dropped fps at 40 fps.

In Metal Gear Solid V, when I put limit to fps (30 fps), the game ran smoothly but when I removed the limit and played at 60 fps, it started to drop fps.

In Ace Combat 7:Skies Unknown I put limit on 60 fps (lowest in settings), the game ran smoothly for almost 5 minutes but then again it started to drop fps.

I dont know if overheating is the issue because GTA V ran smoothly at 20 fps regardless of the core temperatures. Also I ran Intel burn test and stressed the cpu and the results were clean(no issue). The cpu clock does not drop too much when the fps drop occurs (so I think cpu is not an issue). I dont know what is the issue.

Help of any kind is appreciated!

Hi!
Core i7-4710HQ
*8GB RAM
256 GB SSD
2 GB Nvidia GTX 860M GPU

After playing few minutes of games like GTA V, Ace Combat: Skies Unknown, NFS Payback, FIFA 19 etc, the fps start to drop drastically after almost every 5 seconds.
Laptop becomes hot while gaming (this might be the issue), core temperatures rise upto 90-96 degree.
But the issue is that the temperatures are linked to clockspeed. Whenever I stress the cpu to max clock speed (almost 3.3-3.4 Ghz) the temperature of cpu rises instantly from 60 to 95-96. (Shouldn't it be rising gradually?). Also I changed the processor power state to 90% max and instantly the clock speed decreased and the temperature also decreased instantly.

When I played GTA V with90% state, the max temperature of the cpu remained in the 85-89 degree celcius limit (never exceeded 90). and the cpu clock speed remained within 1.9-2.2 GHz. At these settings, when I played GTA V at 20 fps, the temp and clock speed remained same and the game ran smoothly (no fps drop after 3 hours of continuous play) but when I increased the fps to 40-45, the temp and clock speed remained same (88 degree C and 2.1 GHz respectively) but the game started to drop fps after almost five minutes at 10-15 seconds interval. Same happened at 100% processor power state. At 20 fps the temperatures remained between 90-97 but the game ran smoothly at 20 fps at these high temperatures and dropped fps at 40 fps.

In Metal Gear Solid V, when I put limit to fps (30 fps), the game ran smoothly but when I removed the limit and played at 60 fps, it started to drop fps.

In Ace Combat 7:Skies Unknown I put limit on 60 fps (lowest in settings), the game ran smoothly for almost 5 minutes but then again it started to drop fps.

I dont know if overheating is the issue because GTA V ran smoothly at 20 fps regardless of the core temperatures. Also I ran Intel burn test and stressed the cpu and the results were clean(no issue). The cpu clock does not drop too much when the fps drop occurs (so I think cpu is not an issue). I dont know what is the issue.

Hi!
Core i7-4710HQ
*8GB RAM
256 GB SSD
2 GB Nvidia GTX 860M GPU

TheComputerNerd

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2012
Check to see if your power settings are causing the issue before you invest in taking the system apart. If you left click the battery icon in the bottom right side of your screen you should have a slider present itself that allows you to choose between best battery life and best performance. Also, make sure your GPU drivers are up to date. Lastly, make sure that your computer is actually using your GPU instead of the built in graphics whenever a game is started, sometimes, you can choose to switch between the CPU onboard graphics and the dedicated GPU graphics, this option is different based on the computer so it could be in your BIOS or it could be somewhere in your windows, try to find that option. Let me know if this doesn't fix anything.