Discussion Games for the iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hi all,

Does anyone know where i can get a list of recent gamnes that are compatible with the imac.... am sick off looking on various websites liking the look of the but when looking at the system requirements finding out it aint compatible with a macs just with windows grrrr......

americanbrian

Distinguished
Sorry, for my admittedly not that useful comment.

This is why a lot of Apple owners install a version of windows on their machines. It is a historical remnant of the fact that the apple userbase was so much smaller than PC that developers didn't develop for it.

Nowadays there is a lot of development for iOS, but still probably not much for OSX.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks Halcyon..... I've signed up to that website has a pretty good verity of games on........ "american Brian" yeah i know your right mate..... its a shame considering where apple are at with there products etc there top of the market and have been for some years now, also i would recommend that link that halcyon has posted if you are looking for games brian.

hairystuff

Distinguished
I know this may not be of much help but games on mac are not that much optimised and you're better off installing boot camped windows on the machine, I've compared pc and mac versions of games on the same machine and found that some games are 80% more optimised on the pc platform.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
well I am currently downloading my first mac game settlers 7 i will let your all know what it runs like on my iMac, yeah think in time I will install windows just don't want to give up to much of my hard drive space i have 1tb but I am told if you play games alot you should really be looking at giving windows 4-500gb to run this is half my disk space, but guess am going to have to face facts if i want to play games on it......... Thanks 4745454b i will give that a look

4745454b

Titan
Big AAA games take up around 15GBs each. Smaller games can take up much less then that. Windows 7 will want around 20 to 30GBs I think. You only need 500GBs if you'll be keeping 30games or more on your computer.

I think they meant that you'll want a large enough partition for windows. That makes a lot more sense to me.

G

Macs are brilliant and Classy and delicious :)
They are useful for things like programming Objective-C and etc. Macbook Pro and Air series of notebooks are great but by the way considering DirectX(Microsoft's) based games that most popular at this era you need an IBM-PC with Windows OS for serious gaming collier2010. Its just an opinion....

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
yeah just got rid of my pretty decent windows 7 pc had an advent intel 2 quad core processor 4 gb ram and a high end hd radeon graphics card........ am not gonna say i regret switching to mac because i have just paid £1400 :) nah i knew that the games wouldn't have preformed as well i mean some of the games from the app store play really well, but one of the reasons i opted for mac was because I fancied a go at creating apps, however after looking into never imagined how complex it would be to do so think am gonna get myself a good book before even thinking about starting.

halcyon

Splendid

The Mac's popularity for games is sloooowwwly rising, but it'll never compete with customizable Windows rig that can be built primarily to support gaming with everything else orbiting around that function. ...but for regular or casual gaming they're not much you can't play on your Mac via Parallels/VMWare or BootCamp. That was a big factor for me in choosing my Macs for this cycle, especially since I seem to be really picky about my PC gaming.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
yeah suppose your right, however really when u pay £1400 for a mac computer and for what is a very unique operating system you shouldn't have to be going out and paying further £70-£130 for a windows disc to use a totally different OS, frustrating!! but i guess a mac isn't really built for gaming and i knew this before i purchased.... the actual performance is better than i imagined if I am honest... its the low choice of games that disappoints me.

Status
Not open for further replies.