[SOLVED] Games Forced to switch to Intel over Nvidia Graphics

Shane_70

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
I've been playing Far Cry New Dawn recently and the game is forced to use my Intel Graphics over my Nvidia Graphics card randomly and I don't really understand why. In the Nvidia Control Panel the default is set to use the graphics card and I even set Far Cry New Dawn to specifically use the graphics card but it still switches over the Intel Graphics. It also switches to Intel graphics in the cut scenes and in the pause menus without fail and begins to lag. My brother, who is playing the game with me, also has Nvidia graphics but his game doesn't switch. I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design as the graphics card and Intel(R) UDH Graphics 630 as the Intel graphics. Any help on how to stop the switch from happening would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Yeah so it's not random. What's happening is that the laptop is overheating and limiting the performance of the Nvidia GPU to cool down. The Intel GPU then takes over a lot of the work.

There are a few different things you can do to cool down an overheating laptop. The most effective is taking it apart and cleaning it, but this is not easy and should not really be attempted if you don't know what you're doing. Make sure the air vents are uncovered, you might find it runs cooler propped up on a book or something if the vents are on the bottom like most laptops.

You can get these cooling pads which are just like little tables with a fan on, those sometimes work.

One option if you live somewhere cold is to have the laptop outside and...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Laptop? Could be cooling issues. 99% of laptop problems are caused by overheating.

When you say switches over, do you mean it starts off on the Nvidia then during the game it changes to Intel? Or does it only ever use the Intel iGPU?

Shane_70

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
Laptop? Could be cooling issues. 99% of laptop problems are caused by overheating.

When you say switches over, do you mean it starts off on the Nvidia then during the game it changes to Intel? Or does it only ever use the Intel iGPU?
Yeah it's a laptop and it gets to around 70 degrees C when playing. And yes it starts using the Nvidia card and then switches over to the intel card randomly. I have a second monitor with task manager open and when ever I start to lag it's because the Intel card is taking over for the Nvidia card.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Yeah so it's not random. What's happening is that the laptop is overheating and limiting the performance of the Nvidia GPU to cool down. The Intel GPU then takes over a lot of the work.

There are a few different things you can do to cool down an overheating laptop. The most effective is taking it apart and cleaning it, but this is not easy and should not really be attempted if you don't know what you're doing. Make sure the air vents are uncovered, you might find it runs cooler propped up on a book or something if the vents are on the bottom like most laptops.

You can get these cooling pads which are just like little tables with a fan on, those sometimes work.

One option if you live somewhere cold is to have the laptop outside and just run the monitor cable in through the window.

Solution

Shane_70

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017

One option if you live somewhere cold is to have the laptop outside and just run the monitor cable in through the window.
Awesome got it thank you. I'm going to see how hard it is to take apart and I'll try cleaning out the fans.