Question Games freezing but still running in the background

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
I recently updated to Adrenalin 2020 and everything was running fine for a couple days. Now, every time I run a game, the screen freezes as a still image but the game is still running in the background. If I Alt+tab out of it and back in, it works for about 5 seconds and then goes back to freezing to a still image. If I stream my game to my phone or another computer, no freezing occurs on said device but still on my main PC, so the games are definitely running. It's not just Steam either, it's everything. The only way around it is to play in windowed mode, even borderless doesn't work

Any ideas what's going on? I've tried reinstalling my GPU drivers from scratch, updating BIOS, disabling overclocks.

Specs:
Win 10 home
MSI Pro Carbon X470
Ryzen 2600x OC to 4.2 at 1.365v
Trident Z RGB 3000mhz
Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
are you running any form of gaming mode from windows or any other software?

No, I'm not running anything that alters performance or changes any settings.

Adrenalin 2020 asks you to pick a profile on startup to which I picked "Game" though this only enables Anti-lag and enhances sync and such, none of which I've had issues with before. Selecting the default profiles doesn't fix it.

SirLyn

Prominent
May 12, 2019
No, I'm not running anything that alters performance or changes any settings.

Adrenalin 2020 asks you to pick a profile on startup to which I picked "Game" though this only enables Anti-lag and enhances sync and such, none of which I've had issues with before. Selecting the default profiles doesn't fix it.
any system resources running at 100% when gaming? I can't think of anything else other than it being something to do with AMD software and I'm not familiar with AMD. Maybe wait for updates, or use old software. Good luck with the murder. cheers

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
any system resources running at 100% when gaming? I can't think of anything else other than it being something to do with AMD software and I'm not familiar with AMD. Maybe wait for updates, or use old software. Good luck with the murder. cheers

That's pretty much my only hope at this point. No abnormal processes running in the background. Guess I'll just have to wait unless anybody else has any ideas. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Larry C-137

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Yeah, I'm having exactly this experience with my new build. Scanning the web, but no idea what's happening. Perhaps if more people having this issue join the conversation we can trace some patterns and find a solution.

In my case, I think that the only substantial difference is that randomly the game will work from launch, but if I alt+tab out and into the game again the glitch returns. But more often than not it happens from launch. Tried to reinstall the drivers, and my bios is updated. I smell windows 10 <Mod Edit> here, but I'm not pointing fingers yet points finger.

Specs:
Win 10 home
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ryzen 3400g on Stock
G.SkillAegis 16GB 3000mhz
AMD Radeon R7 260x

Last edited by a moderator:

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, I'm having exactly this experience with my new build. Scanning the web, but no idea what's happening. Perhaps if more people having this issue join the conversation we can trace some patterns and find a solution.

In my case, I think that the only substantial difference is that randomly the game will work from launch, but if I alt+tab out and into the game again the glitch returns. But more often than not it happens from launch. Tried to reinstall the drivers, and my bios is updated. I smell windows 10 <Mod Edit> here, but I'm not pointing fingers yet points finger.

Specs:
Win 10 home
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ryzen 3400g on Stock
G.SkillAegis 16GB 3000mhz
AMD Radeon R7 260x

Has it only been happening since a driver update? Radeon 2020 seems to be doing it to me but I'm not sure. Re-installing and updating to more recent drivers didn't fix it.

I reinstlled Windows because of a separate issue and it worked fine for a few hours but the issue has returned. The only way I can get around it is pressing CTRL+P and selecting duplicate but then I get locked to my TV's refresh rate

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Larry C-137

Larry C-137

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Has it only been happening since a driver update? Radeon 2020 seems to be doing it to me but I'm not sure. Re-installing and updating to more recent drivers didn't fix it.

I reinstlled Windows because of a separate issue and it worked fine for a few hours but the issue has returned. The only way I can get around it is pressing CTRL+P and selecting duplicate but then I get locked to my TV's refresh rate

Is a new build. I just fresh installed everything, update all the drivers and that's happening. I don't know if, before updating the drivers, the issue was happening 'cause there was no before hahah. But yeah, I tried to roll back the GPU drivers yesterday and I lost video input and it never came back. Today I'll investigate further if rolling back to a more stable version will fix up the thing.

I'll keep u posted.
Cheers!

Last edited:

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Is a new build. I just fresh installed everything, update all the drivers and that's happening. I don't know if, before updating the drivers, the issue was happening 'cause there was no before hahah. But yeah, I tried to roll back the GPU drivers yesterday and I lost video input and it never came back. Today I'll investigate further if rolling back to a more stable version will fix up the thing.

I'll keep u posted.
Cheers!
I updated to some newer drivers and it seems to be working fine. Good luck!

Reactions: Larry C-137