Games Freezing Problems

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Hi there, i was hoping someone here might be able to help me with a problem.

I have just bought a new machine

Intel Core Duo 2.66GHz

2MB Ram GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz Black Dragon DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GB22GB6400C4DC)

ATI Radeon X1950 Pro

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)

Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

To go with my machine a got myself a few new games to, this is where the problem lies.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 - Runs like a dream

Flight Simulator X - Appears to run fine

Bioshock - Always crashes at second load screen (although i do believe this is due to game bugs rather than my machine)

FarCry - Always crashes after about 5 min of uninterupted gameplay (always at different points)

Worlds In Conflict - Can play all the tutorials fine but will always crash about 5 min into game play (always at different points)

Half Life 2 - Crashes during video after selecting new game.

All of these crashes are my screen freezing and i can get no response from computer. Only option is to hit the reset button

Basicly does anyone know why all these games keep crashing on me. I got this pc so i could play games of this level without any problems.

I have posted this eleshwere and you can see what has been tried so far below.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/gami...-problems.html

I have also tried running memtest and windiag on individual sticks of memory but they will also freeze on test 4.

All help is much appreciated,

Cheers
Jibber4568

kaeota

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
okay, first, please use the html 'url' option so your link works :)

second, if i read right and the ram came together, they may both be faulty. try it in another machine or other ram in your machine, though i dont know why it would only affect these games :| do you have your page file disabled? that would cause it once your ram is full...

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Ok please be patient with me as i am a bit new to all of this.
As Badge said i have been trying to increase ram voltage.
CPU-z stated 1.8V (the motherboard default), in bios i then selected +0.02, cpu-z stayed on 1.8 however easytune stated 2.0V. I then increased to 2.1 using Easytune with no improvement however cpu-z still stated 1.8V. Which of these should i trust as i dont think the bios gives me an exact reading just the option to increase.

Kaeota everyting appears to work fine on pc apart from half the games i play (all first person), and trying memtests.
How do i disable page file.

Cheers for the help guys

kaeota

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
hehe, i am as bad at english as i seem (considering its my first language, i really suck at it). turning your page file off will cause your PC problems, though, in windows, you do it through 'right click on "my computer" go "properties" -> "Advanced" -> 'performance' "settings" ->"advanced" then "Virtual Memory" 'change' '... though i highly doubt you will have turned it off accidentally...

STILL! please fix your link man, forums decrease the size of what shows, so it does NOT work unless you put 'URL'{insertlinkhere}'/URL' (replace the ' with [ and ] respectively) around the link.

Faulty memory or undervolted memory is the likely cause of your system crashes. Especially if the crash occurs when you run software (games). Set the mem. voltage to 2.0 -2.1v in BIOS.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Kaeto, cheers for that, understand now.

Urm, i may be being very stupid but everytime i edit my post its says im not allowed after i hit submit.

Badge whats the best way to determine what my voltage is currently at as easytune and cpu-z both give different readings

Enter BIOS. Locate Memory Voltage. Set the voltage to 2.0v. That ahould solve your crashing problem. If you still experience system crashes when running software, increase the voltage to 2.1v. The 1.8v setting your are using in not Mfg. specs and is the likely cause of your problem.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
In my bios there is not a reading for the current voltage. I set the voltage to+0.4

Easytune now reports 2.1V whereas cpu-z states 1.8V still. I assume i should be trusting easytune here.

Also this didnt help at all. Half life 2 still froze after a minuter or so.

So, you don't know what voltage you increased? Do not use easytune, use your system BIOS. Open you motherboard manula and under 'BIOS settings and configuration' find memory voltage. Set your memory voltage to 2.0-2.1 in BIOS, not Easy Tune. Also go on Corsair's website and find out what the default voltage for your RAM is.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
In my BIOS pc health status i have the current voltage section which states
DDR Voltage [Ok]

Under MB Intelligent Tweaker i have DDR2/DDR3 Overvoltage Control which i have set to +0.4.

Nohting that actually tells me the current voltage.

Default voltage for my ram is 1.9 - 2.1. can go to 2.4 though apparently

Don't go to 2.4v you can damage your RAM. Try 2.1v, but set the voltage in BIOS, not east tune. Obviously the default of 1.8v is undervolting your RAM according to Mfg. specs. I'm sure this is your problem, or a least one of your system crashing problems.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I have already tried this. I ran memtest and also tried Windiag on individual sticks but they always freeze around test 4

Your RAM should not freeeze or show errors. It is likely defective. Try using one DIMM and run your game with the one DIMM only. If the system freezes, try the other DIMM as a single. Leave the memory voltage at mfg. specs, 2.1v.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Ok ill try that in a bit. cheers

Someone else also mentioned that the games and memtest freezing could be down to the psu.
They said that they thought maybe my psu wasn't powerfull enough.

My psu is

Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)

If yiur system runs until you attempt to run software (games, etc.) but freezes when you attempt to run any software (install software , run games, etc.) your system crash scenario is very likely caused by faulty RAM.

The PSU is a possibility. I have had my system freeze during gm play and a lot of lines and patterns and colors appear on the screen. I thought for sure one of cards i SLI was cooked. Both cards checked out good individually. I swapped out the PSU and it fixed the freeze up proble. So yes, a faulty PSU could certainly be the cause.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Well i dont think its faulty seems to run fine without any issues until it gets to those games.

Was originally told that 520W would be enough to run everything.

Will try running on 1gb of ram now

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest revision? The only thing you can do at this point is start swapping out hardware. If you have another video card try it. Same with the PSU.

jibber4568

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Yeah problem is i dont have any other h/w to try. Am gonna give them a call tomorrow but hoping i can send my psu back and pay the extra for an upgrade to 620W as everything is only 3 weeks old. This is my next port of call.
Is it possible that there can be probs with the video card? If there was, would it still work fine on other games such as Pro Evo 2008 and Flight Simulator X

Take notice if the system crashes during any and all games at some point. Again, if you system crashes during the loading of software, the cause is often faulty RAM. Then again, your problem seems to occur 'sporadically' during different applications. So, it could be caused by something other than RAM. You PSU has good enough power on the 12v. Did you build the system or buy it pre built?