Question Games freezing with sound and crashing. Videos artifacting

WastelandStag

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, typical computer freeze post here but I've searched the forums and can't find and answer.
My husband built himself a system late last year, he started having issues and attempted to remedy them but due to depression he gave up. He's been doing a lot better and I wanted to help him get it back running.

Playing most games, at some point the game starts to lag badly after an hour or two.
Sometimes within 5-10 minutes of starting a game, it freezes with sound, and he has to either have to hard restart the computer or if lucky it crashes, usually implying a graphics failure with any error codes.
When we watch videos on it, it will randomly flicker and freeze with weird colours.

To throw a spanner in the works I believe he originally swapped a red devil 5700XT twice, then was given as a "cost equivalent" a Zotac 2070. He also swapped his power supply, an EVGA 700w for a Corsair rmx 850, So neither of these are an issue.

He/I at various points have stress tested it with no crashes, ran memory tests on it etc and can not cause the crash or issues it has in games. It runs perfectly for memtest, furmark, heaven. Not sure what he tried.

Unfortunately we can't currently afford to replace the rest of the components, and using windows built in diagnostic tools doesn't help. I personally have tried following a few steps for common problems, as well as formatting the computer and clean installing it. (he did this previously too)

Can anyone offer advice?

Specs:
MSI B450 carbon ac pro
Ryzen 5 3600
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance rgb 3200mhz
Zotac 2070 gaming oc mini
Corsair MP510 960gb
Corsair rm850x

Thanks,
Eldritch

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Let's see if we can remedy the issue. First off, if you can get into BIOS, check and see what version you're currently on. Then, cross-reference MSI's support page to see if you have any BIOS updates pending. If you do, gradually update to the latest, don't jump to the latest BIOS version. Then check and see if your OS is pending any updates. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10.

Then download the latest drivers for the RTX2070 from Nvidia's support site and DDU. Use DDU to remove your GPU drivers and manually install the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

By reinstalling the OS, did you create your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

See if that helps.

Reactions: WastelandStag

WastelandStag

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
Hi, his latest bios is E7B85AMS.1BO

On the MSI website the earliest it has is from 30/03/2020 which is 7B85v20

Edit, wrong board, they were named similar, it's one out of date but he told me that he had to flash it to a current one because it wouldn't work with his cpu (not sure what he meant) i tried to put on early bios but the earliest I could do was when the versions changed from v19 to v1A

I've been looking into it and his board has an easy way to update bios so do i start at this on and move up to the latest?

I'm updating the latest feature update now for windows. I believe ddu is what he used last time but I will do it again.

I'm not sure about that but I will give it a go if i reinstall it again

Last edited:

WastelandStag

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Let's see if we can remedy the issue. First off, if you can get into BIOS, check and see what version you're currently on. Then, cross-reference MSI's support page to see if you have any BIOS updates pending. If you do, gradually update to the latest, don't jump to the latest BIOS version. Then check and see if your OS is pending any updates. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10.

Then download the latest drivers for the RTX2070 from Nvidia's support site and DDU. Use DDU to remove your GPU drivers and manually install the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

By reinstalling the OS, did you create your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

See if that helps.

I've done all of that now, if anything games are running worse than before, they either stutter extremely withing a few minutes or crash at main screens/ two minutes into playing.

What would be my next steps? Is there anything else I can do to diagnose the issue or will I have to do another clean install?

Thank you for your help.

WastelandStag

Prominent
Dec 3, 2020
Go to userbenchmark.com and run the test. Post a link to the results here.
These are the first results, though it said that SSD wasn't there so I ran it again but for some reson it won't see it, I had run userbench before the above steps and it was there.

UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 87.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 112.1%
SSD: Corsair Force NVMe PCIe M.2 960GB - 217.1%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 87.4%
MBD: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)