Question Games getting terrible fps and im not sure why (read below).

succmysalt

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
About 3 months ago I bought myself a bunch of components for a gaming pc worth about 660 bucks. My main pc components are listed below:

• motherboard: gigabyte ab350dm-ds3h
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g
  • GPU: Radeon RX 580 8gb
  • memory: g skill Ripjaws 16gb ddr4 intel version (it only gives a little extra performance to Intel CPUs as far as I'm aware)
  • power supply: evga bronze 650w power supply
  • fans: 3x cooler master air pressure 140mm fans, 1x stock case fan (120mm), stock AMD cooler
  • case: a cheap corsair black matt case with no glass
  • pc location: in the bottom of one of those older desks with a pc slot (I cut out the back, it can breathe reasonably well)
I am new to pc building. That's not to say I am a completely clueless person either. I know the basic Linux terminal functions, and Linux in general, I understand a good amount of the windows backend, I understand what a bottleneck is, etc.

Here is the issue: my games are running terribly for some reason. In Fallout 4, with only high graphics, x2 antialiasing, and low mxaa (or whatever that is), the game struggles to go above 60 fps and has dips as low as 20 fps. My monitor's max fps is 75. Unacceptable. If anyone doesn't know Fallout 4 is, its a game from 2015 which let's just say on those settings shouldn't be that demanding. It's an rx 580. Something must be wrong.

I am not sure what the issue may be, however. I have a strong feeling it might have something to do with the CPU either being a bottleneck or just not cooling properly. I highly dought it's my processor being too old because it's a 2015 game and that's a processor released in I believe 2017. I also highly dought it's my graphics card being too old simply for the same obvious reasons. I am skeptical, however, that maybe my CPU needs a better cooler. I also thought that maybe, just maybe, my motherboard was too old to handle some of my pc parts, ie. my CPU or GPU. After all, it is a pretty old (and inexpensive) board. That would be a stretch though, right? Oh yeah, It also only had one case fan header, so I had to buy one of those adapter things powered by Molex and splitting the header's signal.

My motherboard being potentially a problem leads into a whole other issue I faced when actually trying to install the cooler master hyper 212 Evo. It's one of those goddamn boards with only one compatible backplate. The stock one. It's a socket am4 board. That means AMD. I didn't even know that AMD boards like this even existed. I am aware this used to be common with Intel and their older LGA 2011 boards, but not amd. In fact, the included screws with the EVO which allowed it to be installed to these types of boards didn't even fit my board's backplate's screwholes. They were slightly too big. I do not know whether this is just an older type of screw made for am3+ or lower/lga 2011 or lower, a packaging error, or simply the fact that these types of boards for AMD are so rare they didn't even bother including that size screw with their product. I would like to know if I am just a big noob and missed something obvious, or if I got really unlucky (if so, please tell me how to better avoid terrible motherboards like this altogether, as well as how to check CPU cooler socket compatibility more closely.

I thought I would ask you experts what you recommend I do before I do anything to fix it: change system settings, overclock, get a compatible CPU cooler, replace my crappy motherboard, add more fans, move my pc (not ideal), or replace my CPU and/or GPU and/or motherboard altogether (last resort).

Thanks for reading this far and thank you so much for the help.

succmysalt

Prominent
Apr 19, 2019
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
When trying to see both my CPU and GPU take a while to warm up and they didn't even try to work hard. They usually don't at first. So basically just a big FU from my pc. Anyway, I cant stand windowed mode so after 30 seconds or something my cpu was only at 41% and 45 degrees Celcius. I guess I have a new question now. How do force my pc to work harder instead of being a lazy load ass?