Question Games giving me black screen flickering - gtx 1070

YoNeil

Reputable
Nov 9, 2016
A few weeks ago, windows automatically installed an update and after that, I tried playing rocket league and the screen goes black for a second every 5 seconds. Note: I have been using this setup for nearly 4 years with ZERO issues and I have no OC's on and nothing is overheating. I tried on GTA 5 and Valorant and it does the same. The flickers occurs on both of my monitors and sometimes at the same time, but I can still hear the game and there's no stuttering. Additionally, on MSI Afterburner, when I increase the voltage limit, the flickering becomes MUCH more frequent. With the 1070, I also get issues during restarts where sometimes the screen just goes totally black and I have to hard reboot. Pls help
Things I have tried:
  • Reinstalling windows (did not fix)
  • DDU and reinstalling gpu drivers (did not fix)
  • Trying different monitors separably (did not fix)
  • Trying the IGPU (fixed the issue)
  • Trying a new gpu (fixed the issue)
  • Trying new power supply (did not fix the issue)
  • Tried dusting pc (did not fix)
I really have a hard time believing that my card is dying because what are the chances it occurs right after a windows update? My theory is that the new windows update installed a new version of Microsoft store nvidia control panel that is compatible with the RTX 2070 SUPER that I tested, but not compatible with my 1070, or it is glitching with my 1070?. Pls help!
System
  • CPU I7 6700K
  • Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z270-A
  • RAM GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G
  • Case NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s) LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UMP58-P ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse LOGITECH G502