games giving me like 6fps (online/offline). furmark seems good, intel cpu test pass...help?!

ryanvango

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
this has been driving me crazy for months. I don't want to buy a new component or a whole new rig unless I can be reasonably sure its the right one. i5 2500k, 7970 gpu, 8gb ram, I THINK 750w psu (not 100%, friend put it in cause that was a problem years ago). I ran furmark for about 17 minutes and average 58fps never dropping under 53. heat was around 73c, maxed to 80c. intel cpu diagnostic tool gave me a flat pass.

The problem is not gradual. once any actual gameplay starts for any game, I get about 6fps with sound to match. I've tried playing witcher 3 (offline) and rocket league (online). oddly, rocket league does a little better, sometimes its hardly noticeable. But I should be able to play on at least high settings, but these problems are occuring at medium and low. It was a great computer for years, now I don't know what's messing up. I doubt its the OS, but if thats pertinent I'm running windows 7 still. just don't like 8 and I hear 10 is a CF. 1TB hd w/ 700 gigs free...

I'm at a total loss guys. any help is greatly appreciated.

ryanvango

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

I put everything super low. I used to be able to run anything maxed out, then out of the blue I get crap. I'll either use medium/low presets, or I'll manually turn off any extras (in rocket league I turn off bloom, dynamic shadows, set to perfomance over quality etc.)

NormH

Distinguished
the best you can do with your set up at decent fps on witcher III is medium settings..... have you tried updating your graphics drivers? and update the support for the game. ..... also try re-installing the game if those dont help

ryanvango

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
my concern isn't running the games maxed out, my concern is running them at all. Witcher III I realize is a new game, but other games like minecraft shouldn't be feeding me 10fps. but even still, I set Witcher III to low and its completely unplayable. Its almost definitely not an install problem, because its not unique to that one game. its every game.

ryanvango

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
I found some other people with somewhat similar problems. They say they had a ram stick burn out. I'm gonna run memtest86 a couple times to confirm, and swap out the sticks to make sure before ordering. might as well upgrade to 16GB if thats the case.

mjh1991

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
Are other tasks on your computer slower (other than gaming)? Maybe try benchmarking both the cpu and gpu. The one time I had an unexplained slow-down it ended up being a dying motherboard and/or cpu. It was a laptop so it got rma'd so I never confirmed which. Have you tried reinstalling drivers (uninstalling completely and then installing again) and windows? Other than that if you have a spare maybe try swapping in a different gpu.

ryanvango

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

don't have a spare GPU, but since it started happening months ago I've run every test I could find and I'm fairly certain its not that. I do keep it at default settings to be sure though. no slowdowns anywhere else. the drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled and updated countless times. haven't touched windows. I have my suspicions about the motherboard, but I don't think the symptoms match up. everything else runs fine, its just gaming, which (as I think about it) would be one of the most RAM intensive things, so that's my next guess. if its not RAM, then the last component is the mobo, so at the point I'll just say fuck it and buy a new rig.