Question Games have frame drops when CPU temp spikes ?

Aug 7, 2022
While I've always experienced cpu temperature spikes for some reason, they have recently caused fps drops in all games regardless on how hard they are to run. I'll go from 58 to 70 C and with this will be a massive frame drop. I heard temp spikes are normal but on every game benchmark video I've seen the temperatures remain stable. Please help as I've tried literally every fix such as
  1. Restarting my computer
  2. Lowering graphics settings
  3. Verifying system integrity files
  4. Reapplying thermal paste
  5. Installing new CPU cooler
    6.Reinstalling drivers
  6. User benchmark shows cpu above average
  7. Tried putting power mode to medium
  8. Tried setting maximum power state to 99%
  9. Tried setting fan curve (made it worse)
  10. Booted windows into safe mode
  11. Reinstalled all games
  12. Ran malwarebytes, found nothing
  13. Checked for corrupted files on windows
  14. Tried lowering the voltage
SPECS:
RYZEN 5 3600
Cooler Master - Hyper 212
ASUS TUF X570
CORSAIR VENGENCE LPX 16GB (8X2)
SANDISK 1 TB SSD
SEAGATE 2TB HDD
MSI GTX 1660TI OC

While I've always experienced cpu temperature spikes for some reason, they have recently caused fps drops in all games regardless on how hard they are to run. I'll go from 58 to 70 C and with this will be a massive frame drop. I heard temp spikes are normal but on every game benchmark video I've seen the temperatures remain stable. Please help as I've tried literally every fix such as
    6.Reinstalling drivers
  6. User benchmark shows cpu above average
  7. Tried putting power mode to medium
  8. Tried setting maximum power state to 99%
  9. Tried setting fan curve (made it worse)
  10. Booted windows into safe mode
  11. Reinstalled all games
  12. Ran malwarebytes, found nothing
  13. Checked for corrupted files on windows
  14. Tried lowering the voltage
SPECS:
RYZEN 5 3600
ASUS TUF X570
CORSAIR VENGENCE LPX 16GB (8X2)
SANDISK 1 TB SSD
SEAGATE 2TB HDD
MSI GTX 1660TI OC
Most likely you have cause-and-effect backwards... you're seeing a temp spike that accompanies a massive increase in processing activity along with lower frame rates. Lowering graphics settings in your games lets the GPU render at higher frame rates which puts even more processing load on the CPU making it raise temperature more, not less.

As you've read, it's normal for temps to spike with Ryzen. But also 70C isn't very high for modern processors that often peak at their Tjmax ratings of 90-95C. Ryzen also doesn't hold a steady clock so just watching clock isn't a way to infer performance.

Are you running with the latest motherboard BIOS? reset CMOS and then XMP enabled for your memory?

What background apps are you running? This includes motherboard utilities and even AMD's RyzenMaster. Disable and uninstall all that you can. Asus' Aura in particular can be a problem to uninstall completely and remove the several services that it registers; there is a special un-install app you may have to search for to get it cleaned up.

You could probably benefit from undervolting with curve optimizer. Do it the simple way to start out: only enable PBO to get to the CO setting then use a negative curve for all cores with -12 value. Later on you can tweak-in each core individually: most cores can probably use up to -30, your gold star cores only -12 or -13.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022
Most likely you have cause-and-effect backwards... you're seeing a temp spike that accompanies a massive increase in processing activity along with lower frame rates. Lowering graphics settings in your games lets the GPU render at higher frame rates which puts even more processing load on the CPU making it raise temperature more, not less.

As you've read, it's normal for temps to spike with Ryzen. But also 70C isn't very high for modern processors that often peak at their Tjmax ratings of 90-95C. Ryzen also doesn't hold a steady clock so just watching clock isn't a way to infer performance.

Are you running with the latest motherboard BIOS? reset CMOS and then XMP enabled for your memory?

What background apps are you running? This includes motherboard utilities and even AMD's RyzenMaster. Disable and uninstall all that you can. Asus' Aura in particular can be a problem to uninstall completely and remove the several services that it registers; there is a special un-install app you may have to search for to get it cleaned up.

You could probably benefit from undervolting with curve optimizer. Do it the simple way to start out: only enable PBO to get to the CO setting then use a negative curve for all cores with -12 value. Later on you can tweak-in each core individually: most cores can probably use up to -30, your gold star cores only -12 or -13.

1. bios is up to date, and xmp is enabled
  2. I tried undervolting, and while the spikes went away my performance got significantly worse

1. I tried undervolting, and while the spikes went away my performance got significantly worse
How did you undervolt? By by using curve optimizer settings? or by lowering VCore?

Lowering Vcore might result in lower temps but it can also result in lowered CPU performance. Especially for light bursty processing (like gaming) where you want the CPU to frequently boost to max clocks for performance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I's an evga 650w silver
EVGA is the brand of the unit while 650W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Silver is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the unit as stated on the sticker or box of the PSU.

Aug 7, 2022
How did you undervolt? By by using curve optimizer settings? or by lowering VCore?

Lowering Vcore might result in lower temps but it can also result in lowered CPU performance. Especially for light bursty processing (like gaming) where you want the CPU to frequently boost to max clocks for performance.
curve optimizer

Aug 7, 2022
I's an evga 650w silver
EVGA is the brand of the unit while 650W is the advertised wattage of said unit. Silver is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the unit as stated on the sticker or box of the PSU.
i built my pc over 2 years ago so i no longer have that information

curve optimizer
I must say...I've not often seen where enabling curve optimizer alone exactly lowered temperature. Usually, it will lower the voltages for each individual core but only at the high end of the V/F curve. That tricks the algorithm into using a lower voltage for maximum boosts when processing loads are light. It's still using pretty much the same voltages for moderate-heavy processing loads so it still tends to run as hot as before.

Maybe 3600's work different though.

When you accompany CO with enhanced PBO settings and positive boost clock frequency offset (up to +200Mhz) it will run considerably hotter though. I'm not sure I'd want to run even a 3600 (non-X) on a Hyper 212 set up that way.
i built my pc over 2 years ago so i no longer have that information
Open the case...check the label on the PSU.

Did you reset CMOS AFTER installing the new CPU so that it would retrain memory?

Last edited:

floundrea

BANNED
Sep 4, 2022
  6. .Reinstalling drivers
  7. User benchmark shows cpu above average
  8. Tried putting power mode to medium
  9. Tried setting maximum power state to 99%
  10. Tried setting fan curve (made it worse)
  11. Booted windows into safe mode
  12. Reinstalled all games
  13. Ran malwarebytes, found nothing
  14. Checked for corrupted files on windows
  15. Tried lowering the voltage
  16. turning off xbox game bar
  17. turning off windows defender
  18. factory resetting entire computer
SPECS:
RYZEN 5 3600
ASUS TUF X570