Question Games keep crashing after a few minutes of play after upgrading graphics card

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I looked on the forums and found a few things that lead me to ask this question with my system specs.
I had a 1060 3GB card in my system and just swapped it for a 1080 Ti SC black. It doesn't get over 70c when stressing and benchmarking with time spy and it doesn't crash. I have estimated that my max power could be 738W and PCPartPicker said its about 550W. I have an 850W gold rated PSU that I thought would be great for future upgrades but I'm afraid that it isn't enough. Any help is greatly appreciated and if you think its my psu please help me prove this. I have a cheaper system with a 600W psu and a ryzen 2400g that probably wouldn't power the 1080ti. I have reinstalled the drivers and it's almost a brand new install of windows 10 that I installed earlier this week with all the appropriate drivers and a bios update.
My specs are below with my estimated power for each component (I know I over estimated on a few things please let me know if I am off by more than 10W) I'm going to turn my CPU overclock off to see if that's the issue.

Part​
Manufacture​
Model – speed​
Estimated Power Used​
CPU​
AMD Ryzen 7​
1800X @3.9GHz​
110​
GPU​
EVGA​
1080Ti SC Black @ stock​
250​
PSU​
EVGA​
850W Gold Rated​
RAM​
Gskill​
2 x 8GB Trident Z @3000MHz​
10​
Motherboard​
ASUS​
X370 Pro​
225​
Storage​
Samsung​
Evo 960 NVME​
10​
Corsair​
Force SATA SSD​
10​
2 x 3.5”​
7200RPM HDD​
50​
2 X 2.5”​
7200RPM HDD​
40​
Cooler​
Coolermaster​
280mm AIO​
25​
Fans​
Coolermaster​
3x 120mm​
8​
Total Estimated Power​
738​

g-unit1111

Titan
For a stock 1080TI? That power draw is way too high. I'd side closer with the PC Part Picker rating since they are generally more accurate. Most PSU wattage calculators grossly overestimate power requirements.

That PSU should be a pretty decent unit. If you have another supply readily available it wouldn't hurt to test your rig with it to see if that is indeed the culprit. If not it's most likely a Windows / driver issue.

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I know that I'm late to finalize this but just wanted to give some closure to anyone else in the future. Games crashed due to a caching issue with origin and after speaking with them on the phone they explained there was a discrepancy with my profile causing the games to close.
The reason it took me so long to close this out, as an electrical/computer engineering student I had access to smart people mainly my favorite professor and after weeks of probing with O-scopes and FPGA's we determined that there was faulty hardware with the PCIE on the motherboard. The 1080ti was running more data at a faster rate than the 1060 causing other issues, After battling for months with ASUS and 4 RMA's later I bought an MSI x470 and I haven't had an issue with the GPU since.