Games keep crashing after installation of fans.

SCanfield

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
So I recently installed 2 fans to my pc and switched out another. At the same time I also re-wired my cables to get good wire management. Everything worked great on start-up until I started playing Minecraft. My minecraft crashed probably 2 times an hour. I figured that was a minecraft problem, considering it had a giant update on the first of July. I knew that was false because after about 30 minutes of Arma 2 Wasteland, the game had crashed. I played it multiple times and it kept crashing. I thought that this could be a RAM problem so I downloaded and ran Memtest86, with zero errors. If anyone could help out that would be great.
P.S. I have had 2 blue screens where it said "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"

Specs:
i5 3570k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP
ULTRA X4 750W PSU
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Intel Z77 Motherboard
x4 Case Fans (3 Cooler Master, 1 Thermaltake)

Solution
Some 'high end' Asus motherboards overclock a little by default.
- It may be boosting the CPU beyond spec during times of high CPU load for a few milliseconds.

A 2.4% overclock is fine when TurboBoost is doing nothing, but adding it to the other Asus features, plus TurboBoosting to 2.4% higher than spec may be just enough to get a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

According to the forum you've answers your own problem?

SCanfield

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Nope. Both are factory clocked. But sometimes when I check the BIOS, the CPU clock that is supposed to be 3.4Ghz hovers around 3.48Ghz

SCanfield

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Fans are all running, RAM is perfect, and my GPU is getting recognized by NVIDIA GeForce Experience so I am sure that's ok.

SCanfield

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

That's what I thought as well. I just want to be sure everything else is ruled out before I proceed to purchase a new PSU.

SCanfield

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Like I said before, I am not overclocking. And is Prime95 safe for my system??

Some 'high end' Asus motherboards overclock a little by default.
- It may be boosting the CPU beyond spec during times of high CPU load for a few milliseconds.

A 2.4% overclock is fine when TurboBoost is doing nothing, but adding it to the other Asus features, plus TurboBoosting to 2.4% higher than spec may be just enough to get a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

According to the forum you've answers your own problem?

Solution

SCanfield

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Is there a way to disable those features?

There should be, check your BIOS / UEFI and read your motherboard manual cover to cover at least once.
- Then check the Table of Contents and Index of your mobo manual.

I usually grab the PDF's for a given motherboard before I even consider buying it.