[SOLVED] Games keep crashing because of nvd3dum.dll and Exception code: 0xc0000005

Kantai

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hey guys, first post here so I'm sorry for formatting issues. Since last week, CS GO has been crashing on start-up with this error in Event Viewer,

Faulting application name: csgo.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c058004
Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll, version: 25.21.14.1967, time stamp: 0x5c8de306
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x007d2086
Faulting process id: 0x2a0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4f0040a6a161a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c5dc31c3a136544a\nvd3dum.dll
Report Id: 7485646b-d2e8-4bc3-8dfd-b380bb8c2852
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have tried everything from doing a clean reinstall with DDU and even reinstalling Windows. Here is my system info

Time of this report: 4/10/2019, 18:21:13
Machine name: DESKTOP-R7D3VKU
Machine Id: {7452FE1C-B231-4C65-9E2E-8E2BDE68B1E2}
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z390 GAMING X
BIOS: F7 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16316MB RAM
Page File: 6666MB used, 12594MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

GTA is giving me an exception code of 0xc0000005 and League of Legends is giving me the "system error" pop-up and that my files are corrupted but I'm not sure if these problems are related to each other or not. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

I am using a GTX 1080, please also let me know anymore info that you might need!

Solution
No probs mate, I'm sure we'll get the issue sorted out eventually!
Your methods are correct - running optimized defaults is fine for now. We should now focus why your CPU is still unstable. It shouldn't be unstable as everything is running at stock and default values.
A few more things you should try. Do a BIOS update for that board of yours. Might not solve the issue at hand, but I'd do it anyways. Have you tried using a different PSU in your system? A faulty supply can create unstable behavior, so try testing on another one if possible.
Have you tried doing Prime testing running just 1 memory module at a time? Make sure there aren't any loose screws lying around in your case. Check all cables inside your case that they're all tightly...

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
As I'm unsure about your PC's issue, I'd start by checking a few things if I were you:
Do a stress test on your CPU and RAM to confirm stability. You can use Prime95 for that.
Do you overclock any parts?
Do you have the latest intel chipset drivers installed?
Check temperatures of your CPU and GPU (using something like Furmark).
Check SATA cables inside your case that everything's plugged in properly as well as the power cables to the GPU.
Let know how things went, hopefully isolating the issue soon :)

Kantai

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Thank you for the reply! I don't crash while using Prime 95 but notice that upon start-up, Workers 3 and 4 says that there is an error and stops. I have also tried using RealBenchmark and notice that on HWMonitor, it says all my cores are being used at 100% whereas in Prime95 CPU 2 and CPU 3 are not at 100% load. I don't know if that might be an indicator to my problem?

I used to OC my CPU (5.0ghz using 1.35v and "Turbo" LLC) and RAM(From 2166 to 3000mhz as listed on the RAM itself) but have stopped ever since this problem started happening.

I have the latest Intel Chipset Drivers installed according to the Intel Driver and Support Assistant Tool.

CPU hovers around 30c idle and 70-80C while stress testing on Prime95 or RealBenchmark. GPU was idling at 47-54C and when tested on Furmark reached 73C using the 1440(QHD) Preset.

I have not checked my SATA cables for my hard drive yet since I'm using a SSD and HDD combo but will do so now. I'm not too tech savvy so don't know if there is a SATA cable that I might have to check for my SSD?

Thank you for your patience. Also, here is a pastebin of my DxDiag if that might help. https://pastebin.com/8gSR5b5A

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Apologies for not getting back to you :(

So if those workers on your CPU stop, then it means your CPU is unstable. You said that you stopped OC'ing, yet your CPU is still unstable in Prime95. Strange indeed.
Also I've never heard of anyone being able to OC their RAM from 2166 to 3000. But whatever the case, all I can suggest for now is going through your BIOS and make dead sure that everything is running at default values.
Have you done a stress test on your RAM yet? You can do that in Prime as well. You might also try reseating your RAM. Try swapping them around as well for what it's worth.
Your temperatures on the CPU and GPU are just fine, so at least we can isolate an overheating issue.
Have you tried plugging your drives into different SATA ports on the mobo? Try that as well. Rerun the benchies. Lemme know if your CPU workers continue to crash.

Also check out http://www.errorlive.com/exception-code-0xc0000005#Causes_of_Application_Error0xc0000005

Kantai

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Apologies for not getting back to you :(

So if those workers on your CPU stop, then it means your CPU is unstable. You said that you stopped OC'ing, yet your CPU is still unstable in Prime95. Strange indeed.
Also I've never heard of anyone being able to OC their RAM from 2166 to 3000. But whatever the case, all I can suggest for now is going through your BIOS and make dead sure that everything is running at default values.
Have you done a stress test on your RAM yet? You can do that in Prime as well. You might also try reseating your RAM. Try swapping them around as well for what it's worth.
Your temperatures on the CPU and GPU are just fine, so at least we can isolate an overheating issue.
Have you tried plugging your drives into different SATA ports on the mobo? Try that as well. Rerun the benchies. Lemme know if your CPU workers continue to crash.

Also check out http://www.errorlive.com/exception-code-0xc0000005#Causes_of_Application_Error0xc0000005
It's no problem! Thanks for the reply and help though! Is there a way to confirm that all my values are at default? I'm using a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard and in BIOS I select the "Use optimized defaults" option so I assume that means it should be default values. I've also reset the CMOS with the screwdriver method and I'm unsure if that is the same as taking the CMOS battery itself out for resetting the CMOS. I've reseated the RAM before and swapped them around and still experience the crash.

Reactions: barryv88

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
No probs mate, I'm sure we'll get the issue sorted out eventually!
Your methods are correct - running optimized defaults is fine for now. We should now focus why your CPU is still unstable. It shouldn't be unstable as everything is running at stock and default values.
A few more things you should try. Do a BIOS update for that board of yours. Might not solve the issue at hand, but I'd do it anyways. Have you tried using a different PSU in your system? A faulty supply can create unstable behavior, so try testing on another one if possible.
Have you tried doing Prime testing running just 1 memory module at a time? Make sure there aren't any loose screws lying around in your case. Check all cables inside your case that they're all tightly plugged in. Also post a screenshot of Prime95 crashing.
If things continue to crash, you'll need to start isolating the problem by running your system with the bare minimum of components connected to the mobo. (1 memory module, keyboard, mouse, boot drive and screen connected to mobo using the iGPU). The idea is to run Prime95 with as little things connected to the mobo. If it continues to crash, it's most likely your PSU or mobo that needs replacing. But let's not jump to conclusions yet. Report back and we'll continue on :)

Solution

Kantai

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
It seems like the problem might be a bad mobo or power supply? I enabled my integrated graphics and it seems like that fixed my problem. Going to bring into a computer shop tomorrow and see if they have other GPU's I might be able to test or if they can pinpoint the problem for me.

Kantai

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hey there! So it seems like the problem wasn't the graphics card after all because I plugged it back into my old rig and everything runs fine. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how I might go about testing if it is my power supply or motherboard or any other part being the issue with my new rig? I've tested the new rig with another piece of my friend's RAM and it was still crashing so I ruled out RAM being the issue. I don't know how to go about testing my power supply or motherboard as the culprit without just taking everything apart and then reassembling it with a new psu/mobo. Thank you for any suggestions!

Kantai

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hey there! So it seems like the problem wasn't the graphics card after all because I plugged it back into my old rig and everything runs fine. I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how I might go about testing if it is my power supply or motherboard or any other part being the issue with my new rig? I've tested the new rig with another piece of my friend's RAM and it was still crashing so I ruled out RAM being the issue. I don't know how to go about testing my power supply or motherboard as the culprit without just taking everything apart and then reassembling it with a new psu/mobo. Thank you for any suggestions!
I want to also add that the integrated GPU works fine on my new rig so maybe the problem isn't the MOBO and is the PSU after all? I'm not 100% sure though.

Oct 4, 2019
Have you tried plugging your drives into different SATA ports on the mobo? Try that as well. Rerun the benches. Lemme know if your CPU workers continue to crash.
Also, check out to fix error 0xc0000005