Question Games keep crashing but Benchmark / Stresstest runs without problem

maxli1233

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Hey, I upgraded to a 3080 and first tried it with a 650w PSU, however when I played games they kept crashing and I even got bluescreens sometimes, so I bought a 850w (rm850x) PSU but that didn't fix the problem.

I run stresstests and benchmarks without crashing or anything but when I play games they keep crashing or I get a weird colored picture and the Computer shuts down.

The highest temperature my GPU reaches is 70 Degrees. I didn't overclock it, its running on stock.

I also ran DDU in safe mode.

What could be the problem?

Setup:

i7 11700k

KFA2 RTX 3080

16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz RAM

ASUS z590-P Motherboard

Corsair RM850x PSU

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Hey, I upgraded to a 3080 and first tried it with a 650w PSU, however when I played games they kept crashing and I even got bluescreens sometimes, so I bought a 850w (rm850x) PSU but that didn't fix the problem.

I run stresstests and benchmarks without crashing or anything but when I play games they keep crashing or I get a weird colored picture and the Computer shuts down.

The highest temperature my GPU reaches is 70 Degrees. I didn't overclock it, its running on stock.

I also ran DDU in safe mode.

What could be the problem?

Setup:

i7 11700k

KFA2 RTX 3080

16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz RAM

ASUS z590-P Motherboard

Corsair RM850x PSU
Hi im having similar problems. I dont think i can help but by chance can you please post a picture here with Imgur.com showing the screen what it looks like the weird color picture before it crashes the computer? Im curious to see if your screen looks like mine when my games crash.

maxli1233

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
What error message/s do you get in blue screen? In event viewer do you have any critical event entries (other than system shut down unexpectedly)?
I don't get any bluescreens, they just crash back to the desktop and sometimes I get a frozen pic from the game with weird colors and then the PC restarts.

Edit : Theres one error : The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0xffffffffffffff93, 0x000000000000000b, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff8012c60d7d8).

Hi im having similar problems. I dont think i can help but by chance can you please post a picture here with Imgur.com showing the screen what it looks like the weird color picture before it crashes the computer? Im curious to see if your screen looks like mine when my games crash.
Its really hard to explain, the colors are like someone punched my monitor if you know what I mean. Not really possible to take a picture since I dont know when exactly it crashes. It feels like after every 15-20mins though.

Last edited:
Ok so I would run sfc /scannow. Then go into device manager and line l by line manually check for driver updates. I know this is tedious, but it is a troubleshooting move. What gpu did you use before you started using the 3080? What bios version are you using for your motherboard? Also do you have anything plugged into external usb ports, other than keyboard and mouse? Have you run memory check? I would also check your virtual memory to make sure it is being controlled by the computer and the amount of memory is correct. Have you run hardware troubleshooter?

maxli1233

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Ok so I would run sfc /scannow. Then go into device manager and line l by line manually check for driver updates. I know this is tedious, but it is a troubleshooting move. What gpu did you use before you started using the 3080? What bios version are you using for your motherboard? Also do you have anything plugged into external usb ports, other than keyboard and mouse? Have you run memory check? I would also check your virtual memory to make sure it is being controlled by the computer and the amount of memory is correct. Have you run hardware troubleshooter?
Hey man thanks for the suggestions. I've been on this for 12+ hours.

I had a 1080 before. This 3080 is also brand new.

sfc /scannow says everything is fine.

Every driver is up to date.

Ive updated to the latest BIOS Version (1601, it was actually outdated).

Tried with nothing plugged in besides Keyboard and Mouse.

Ran Memory Check without problems. (Side note, i have to turn up the DRAM Voltage in the Bios up to 1.4. On default (1.35) I get startup bluescreens).

Other things i did :

Reinstalled windows 11 AND 10, same thing on both OS.

Changed from 1 PCI Cable for both slots to 2 seperate ones.

Tried with disabled XMP profile.

Messed with a lot of bios settings such as turning PCI Slot 1 from Auto to Gen3

I dont really get any errors on the Event Viewer besides that one (Only when it freezes to restart) i sent.

No crashes when using my old GPU.

May this GPU just be broken?

TRENDING THREADS