[SOLVED] Games keep crashing in 5-10mins of launch.

BluePleb

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
Ram : 1 x Trident Z 16GB(3200Mhz)
GPU : Galax GeForce RTX 2070 1-Click OC
PSU : 700W (80+ Bronze)
Cooler : NZXT Kraken M22 (120mm Fan)
Case : NZXT H500

I recently built this PC and installed all the latest drivers.
Tried ramping up some games and as soon as I start playing something, they crash in 5-10mins.
I tried downgrading to some stable drivers, Complete reinstall of windows, BIOS update, yet nothing works.

Also, there were some artifacts in-game.
Only ONCE but thought it was worth mentioning.

Here is a screenshot of Overwatch before it crashed. View: https://imgur.com/gBVPMsq
and Screenshot of EVGA Precision monitor (Don't know if the spikes are normal) View: https://imgur.com/j9y8djY

Also Open-GL tests crash much faster than Direct X tests

Did not over-clock or boost anything.

I would love to try some help in figuring out what is wrong (I think it has something to do with either GPU or PSU). I will try to answer any possible troubleshoot tips you have.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Also another update, Heaven benchmark runs totally fine when underclocked and Superposition still crashes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
It's starting to sound more like a defective GPU, since Heaven benchmark stresses the GPU to its max, so if it was a bad PSU, both applications would have caused crashes. By the way, when you say crash, do you mean the application closes or the PC shuts down? A PC shut down is more likely to be the PSU's fault, while application crash is not a common effect of failing PSU.

BluePleb

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
What's the exact brand/model of this PSU ? What is the GPU and CPU TEMP value while gaming ? Any signs of overheating ? Is that a brand NEW GPU ?
Sorry, i forgot to mention, PSU is a Gigabyte B700H.
GPU is brand new and the temps don't climb more than 65C.
CPU temp is stable too, goes about 70 tops at times. I don't think it is over-heating.

Yeah, gigabyte is yet to make a name in the PSU market, so while it does have some high-end units, that B700H doesn't seem to be one of them, or at least it's not anything extraordinary. I would get a good PSU from a reputed brand either way, just to get it out of the system.

BluePleb

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I don't have a spare GPU or PSU, but since , most people have hinted a problem at either GPU or PSU, I will go to my dealer and test out you suggestions..Hope it gets solved.

Thanks guys, for your suggestions.

I will update you guys.

Also another update, Heaven benchmark runs totally fine when underclocked and Superposition still crashes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
It's starting to sound more like a defective GPU, since Heaven benchmark stresses the GPU to its max, so if it was a bad PSU, both applications would have caused crashes. By the way, when you say crash, do you mean the application closes or the PC shuts down? A PC shut down is more likely to be the PSU's fault, while application crash is not a common effect of failing PSU.

Solution

BluePleb

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019

Only the program crashes, should have been more specific, my bad.
Thanks for the reply though, gives some insight of what the problem is with.

BluePleb

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Update: This time I did a test after under-clocking for 3 times each, to get an average.

Both Heaven and Superposition crash with 5-10s window of launch.

I honestly don't know anymore, I will RMA the GPU, but you can continue to suggest possible fixes as it might help others with the same problem.

Thanks for everyone who tried to help.

BluePleb

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Sorry for the late update guys.
It has been really hectic for me at work , after the last update.

So, Long story short.
I went to the dealer, Tried a different PSU (Corsair CX 750) and the problem still persisted.

Then tried multiples GPUs namely , 2080, 2060, 1080 ti, 1070 and another 2070 (all made by GALAX), where all graphic cards worked fine except mine. Luckily artifacts popped up when the vendor was testing it, making my claim legitimate.

It was a faulty GPU , they are going to replace it this weekend.

Thanks for the comments , which really helped me narrow down the problem.
Hope this thread helps anyone with the similar issue.

Have a nice day!!

Reactions: Shektron