Question Games keep crashing to desktop and occasional BSOD

jappho209

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Hey everyone,

Just like the title says, every time I'm playing games it will crash to desktop randomly. Sometimes I can game for a couple hours with no issues and sometimes I crash to the desktop about 2-3 times every 30 minutes. I occasionally get BSOD as well and it could be either during gaming or when just idle. I can't remember the stop codes it shows at the top of my head but it varies from something saying SQL or kmode and other stuff (not very specific but yeah). I ran memtest86 twice to see if there was any possible issues with the ram but both tests came out with 0 errors. I built this PC myself probably about 6 months ago and at first the crashes didn't bother me too much, but I am starting to game more recently and it's been bugging me a lot and I've been trying to get to the bottom of this.

What I've tried so far is running memtest86 with no errors, switching the ram slots from 1 and 3 to 2 and 4, updating graphics card driver, stress testing graphics card with superposition benchmark with no crashes.

My system specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MOBO : Gigabyte x570 AORUS ELITE
RAM : CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 LPX 16gb (2x8GB) 3000
SSD (windows booted from) : Intel 660p m.2 512gb
SSD (storage) : Crucial MX500 500gb
GPU : RTX 2070 Black
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650 G3 80+ Gold

What I've noticed:

I have most games installed on the storage SSD (CS:GO, Dota2, Destiny 2, FF XIV) and I crash and/or BSOD on these games.
I have Rainbow Six Siege and GTA V installed on the SSD that I boot windows from and I still crash frequently on GTAV, but I can't recall if I have ever cashed playing Siege.