Sep 1, 2020
My issue has been plauging my PC for a long while now. During games my PC graphics drivers stop responding and the game crashes to a grey screen while audio still plays in the background.

During fullscreen the game crashes and I need to restart the PC, on windowed games it takes me back to the desktop.

Sometimes I can play games for hours without encountering the issue other times it crops up repeatedly.

I don't think it has much to with the graphical needs of certain games as I can play Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal for hours before encountering the problem (both games the require higher specs to play). But lower spec games like Rigby League Live 4 crash repeatedly in short periods of time.

The GPU is a EVGA GTX 980, CPU Intel i7. Both running at normal temps. PSU Corsair CS750M.

Here is a list of things I have already tried in order to resolve the issue.
  • Reinstalling Windows (8.1)
  • Reinstalling all Nvidea Drivers
  • Running games on lower graphical settings
  • Running games in Windowed mode
  • Turning off Virus protection software while playing games.
  • Verifying Steam game caches
  • Reinstalling Steam and Steam games
  • Dusting PC

Sorry for long post just wanted problem to be clear.

Solution
Current PSU is 750 W, what would you recommend upgrading to considering my other specs

The current PS may have enough power, if you have another laying around somewhere, test it, I have also seen very dusy/dirty power supplies short out under load. I would not spend any money on another untill you have tried a few options first. If it is very dusty, air spray it out.

if its clean, sub it with another if available. and the last option would be buy one and see how it preforms, if the problem persist you may be able to return it with refund, let'em know you did not need it after all.
Sep 1, 2020
My issue has been plauging my PC for a long while now. During games my PC graphics drivers stop responding and the game crashes to a grey screen while audio still plays in the background.

During fullscreen the game crashes and I need to restart the PC, on windowed games it takes me back to the desktop.

Sometimes I can play games for hours without encountering the issue other times it crops up repeatedly.

I don't think it has much to with the graphical needs of certain games as I can play Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal for hours before encountering the problem (both games the require higher specs to play). But lower spec games like Rigby League Live 4 crash repeatedly in short periods of time.

The GPU is a EVGA GTX 980, CPU Intel i7. Both running at normal temps. PSU Corsair CS750M.

Here is a list of things I have already tried in order to resolve the issue.
  • Reinstalling Windows (8.1)
  • Reinstalling all Nvidea Drivers
  • Running games on lower graphical settings
  • Running games in Windowed mode
  • Turning off Virus protection software while playing games.
  • Verifying Steam game caches
  • Reinstalling Steam and Steam games
  • Dusting PC
Sorry for long post just wanted problem to be clear.

Start with power supply, upgrade to larger one if a comparable one does not work, I have seen and corrected similar situations with these methods.

Reactions: Seiznosus
Sep 1, 2020
Current PSU is 750 W, what would you recommend upgrading to considering my other specs

The current PS may have enough power, if you have another laying around somewhere, test it, I have also seen very dusy/dirty power supplies short out under load. I would not spend any money on another untill you have tried a few options first. If it is very dusty, air spray it out.

if its clean, sub it with another if available. and the last option would be buy one and see how it preforms, if the problem persist you may be able to return it with refund, let'em know you did not need it after all.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS