[SOLVED] Games keep crashing to windows without any error messages.

Jan 3, 2019
So couple days ago, my computer started to crash all of my games after 5-10 minutes of playing them. Initially I thought it was a bad driver problem, so I uninstalled the driver using DDU and clean installed it. However the problem continued to occur so I thought maybe it was an hardware issue. So I gave my PC in a local repair shop and they after doing several stress tests, malware checks and driver tests and testing with a different PSU said that the issue was my graphics card (EVGA 1080TI FTW3).

So I contacted the retailer (Amazon) and had the card returned and got myself a new gpu (MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X TRIO). However even after installing the new card and reinstalling windows, the crashing still continues to occur. Can anyone please assist me on how to fix this issue. All of my drivers are up to date including the BIOS.

These are my system specs-

AMD RYZEN 2700X
Corsair Hydro H100i V2
Gigabyte X470 Aorus ULTRA Gaming
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3200 MHZ
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X TRIO
WD 1TB HDD
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W

Solution
The reason I mention it that way is that I have two games that will do the exact same thing if I have ANY manner of OC going on the CPU, and variable according to the OC I have on my RAM (XMP profile stays stable, but above crashes them). I can stress test all day long with a variety of programs and it stays stable and good temp, but moments into one game and towards developing (army mass) in the other they bonk to the desktop with no error. In most cases the temps aren't high enough to have caused issue, in theory.

The only fix I have had for both of these games is to remove OC before playing them.

My issues are with a Ryzen 1700 and GTX 1080.

Lutfij

Titan
Define, crash. Which BIOS version are you on? Did you ask the people at the repair shop to explain how they came to the conclusion that the GPU was at fault? When you speak of reinstalling the OS, did you recreate the bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

Jan 3, 2019
The crash is that the games will exit to desktop without any error message. I am currently on BIOS F4D. The guy from the repair shop said he did extensive torture test on the previous card (1080TI), checked for any errors in the registry, checked for malware and also tested the card with another PSU and the crash was still happening and that's how he came to that conclusion as he said. I resetted Windows in the recovery option in Settings, Reset windows and remove everything option. It took around 2 hours for it to finish. Right now I am on my new gpu (2080) and the games still exit to desktop with no error messages.

Jan 3, 2019

The crash is that the games will exit to desktop without any error message. I am currently on BIOS F4D. The guy from the repair shop said he did extensive torture test on the previous card (1080TI), checked for any errors in the registry, checked for malware and also tested the card with another PSU and the crash was still happening and that's how he came to that conclusion as he said. I resetted Windows in the recovery option in Settings, Reset windows and remove everything option. It took around 2 hours for it to finish. Right now I am on my new gpu (2080) and the games still exit to desktop with no error messages.

Jan 3, 2019
This is not a card issue. I replaced my 1080ti with a RTX 2080 and still getting the crashes. The CPU temp is between 36-42 degrees when idle and about 50 degrees under load. GPU is at 50-60 under load. I am running on AMD RYZEN balanced power plan as well.

Jan 3, 2019

This is not a card issue. I replaced my 1080ti with a RTX 2080 and still getting the crashes. The CPU temp is between 36-42 degrees when idle and about 50 degrees under load. GPU is at 50-60 under load. I am running on AMD RYZEN balanced power plan as well.

May 1, 2019

I'm having the same problem, but running a 1060, were you able to solve it? I read in a post it might be the RAM, but I only have one 16gb RAM slot which is difficult to test.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The reason I mention it that way is that I have two games that will do the exact same thing if I have ANY manner of OC going on the CPU, and variable according to the OC I have on my RAM (XMP profile stays stable, but above crashes them). I can stress test all day long with a variety of programs and it stays stable and good temp, but moments into one game and towards developing (army mass) in the other they bonk to the desktop with no error. In most cases the temps aren't high enough to have caused issue, in theory.

The only fix I have had for both of these games is to remove OC before playing them.

My issues are with a Ryzen 1700 and GTX 1080.

Solution
May 1, 2019
Think I might have solved it, want to test it a bit more. My Total War Warhammer II and The Division 2 kept crashing randomly like pressing alt F4 . I also removed the OC, but it didn't help, I recently switched the Games from DX12 to DX11 and I haven't gotten a crash yet, but I am still testing to be certain

Apr 16, 2020
Think I might have solved it, want to test it a bit more. My Total War Warhammer II and The Division 2 kept crashing randomly like pressing alt F4 . I also removed the OC, but it didn't help, I recently switched the Games from DX12 to DX11 and I haven't gotten a crash yet, but I am still testing to be certain

It doesn't work for me allready tried it.

TRENDING THREADS