• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Games Keep Crashing

May 26, 2020
Hello everyone!

I’m having issues with my new build the specs are:

Ryzen 5 2600X
Stock Cooler
5700XT
16GB (8x2) Dual Channel 3600mhz
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

My games continue to crash about 10 minutes into them. When I crash my CPU temps are at about 80 degrees C with about 30% CPU Utilization. Sometimes I’ll even get a blue screen and CPU overheat message. I momitor my temps while gaming using ryzen master and hwinfo. They both match up and when gaming im typically at 80 degrees C. I do not have any overclock whatsoever. All i’ve done is enable XMP profile. This ram has 2 XMP profiles one for 3600mhz and another for 3200mhz I was not able to even get the system to boot and operate with 3600 so i’m running at 3200. I read that others also have problems running at 3600 with this cpu (i guess i should’ve read up on that before purchasing that kit, but nevertheless). I ran prime95 to test the cpu and got worker stopped errors within a couple minutes of testing. After doing research on this forum I read i should try running smallfft which will primarily test CPU and if i succeed then it’s possibly a ram issue. Well, i was able to successfully run smallfft however my cpu was running at 95 degrees C, but the workers never stopped and i got no errors. So this left me with 2 issues. Issue 1: why is my cpu so hot? and issue 2: what’s causing the crashes? so after further research on this forum i read that i should try memtest to test my memory if workers do not stop during smallfft. So I did, and it worked with no errors.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

May 26, 2020
Update: I tried running Prime95 with no xmp at all and it worked. I still peaked at 95 degrees C after almost 10 minutes. I still don’t know why my temperatures are so high but this leads me to believe that xmp profiles are causing my system to crash. I tried using the “DRAM Calculator” to manually overclock my ram and bump soc/dram voltage to see if that would help, but the calculator actually wanted me to lower those values significantly. Is there something wrong with my RAM?

ASK THE COMMUNITY