Question Games keep crashing

iraliex

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
I bought a pre owned i7 4790k off eBay, it seems to work fine apart from it getting quite hot. To around 70-80c constantly when gaming and when idle 30-40c (usually more towards the 30 range) . After a while of gaming the game freezes then closes without any report log or anything, could this be a fault in the CPU or is it most likely to do with the high temps? Keeping in mind that I never used to have game crashes with my i5 4460 however that CPU stayed around 50c when gaming. I have ordered a Hyper 212 EVO which should hopefully make the CPU more cooler.

Specs:
Windows 10
i7 4790k
H81M PLUS
GTX 1060 6GB
10GB DDR3 RAM
Kingston A400 1TB SSD

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
It's a good idea to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Was the processor delidded? Why did you buy a K suffix processor for your system, you can't overclock while on the H81 chipset(for both the ram and CPU).

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

iraliex

Reputable
Jul 21, 2016
It's a good idea to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Was the processor delidded? Why did you buy a K suffix processor for your system, you can't overclock while on the H81 chipset(for both the ram and CPU).

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
PSU is a Corsair CX650 and is around 2 years old. The seller did not mention if he delidded the CPU or not. I did not plan to overclock it anyway, used 4790's and 4790k's go for nearly the same price on eBay so I decided just to buy the k version. I have ran a clean installation of windows but I haven't updated my BIOS.