Games lag despite having a good PC!

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Hello! I built a gaming PC about 4 months ago. It has really good components on it but I can't figure out why I get 10-20 FPS on every game.

Graphics card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970-gaming G1

Processor: AMD FX-8350 (black edition)

Processor cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX s40

Power supply: Fractal Design Integra M 550W

RAM: Kingston (2x4GB) HyperX fury DDR3 and (1x8GB) HyperX fury DDR3

Computer case: Corsair Crystal series 460x RGB tempered glass compact-ATX MID-TOWER

CASE with 3x120mm fans.

Windows 7 home premium (I'm at the moment downloading windows 10)

So what could possibly be the problem? I have updated all the graphics card drivers from GeForce Experience and all my motherboard drivers from the manufacturers page.

All of my temperatures are okay and all of the components are detected.

Solution
Try using AMD Overdrive. It has a reading called Thermal Margin, which is a measure of how far you are from the max temp your CPU should be at. If that number gets to 0, the CPU will begin to throttle, and you should see the CPU frequency decrease.

If that's the case, you can try repasting/reseating your cooler, and/or cleaning it. If that doesn't solve it, you need a new cooler.

austintx1985

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Which games in particular are you having these problems with? Some AAA games (GTA V, Witcher 3, etc.) will lag when you are trying to play at full settings. Try lowering your graphics settings in the games and see if that helps with your FPS.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008

He doesn't have a high end machine but 10 - 20 fps? Not possible unless he's running 4K at high/ultra settings.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kallomaister1 : "All of my games lag!"

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
No I got 80 fps on GTA V with all on ultra and 40-60 fps on PUBG when everything was on ultra and all this was when I bought my parts but now nothing is running smoothly my computer is even struggling on some old games like csgo

rgd1101

Don't

Ok. answer the question from TJ Hooker and CountMike are asking

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

It can't be. I know my CPU is pretty bad but it was doing just fine when I got the parts. I have replaced the thermal paste a day ago. I used Artic silver 5

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Well pretty much on any game. The lightest title I had struggle was csgo and I got 40 fps.

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

I'm playing rust on the lowest settings and pubg on ultra but all of the games ran just fine when i got the parts and my CPU temperature is 70-80 and my GPU is about 40-50

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What are you using to monitor CPU temp? I believe AMD overdrive is supposed to be the most reliable.

If those temps are accurate, I'm pretty sure that's too hot. IIRC, you don't want higher than in the 60s for FX CPUs. You should try monitoring your CPU frequency as well, it may be throttling.
You may have mounted your cooler incorrectly or something, causing your CPU to start getting to hot now.

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

My cooler is pretty bad and old. Does it matter which way the cooler should be? And I'm monitoring my temps with Open Hardware Monitor.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Try using AMD Overdrive. It has a reading called Thermal Margin, which is a measure of how far you are from the max temp your CPU should be at. If that number gets to 0, the CPU will begin to throttle, and you should see the CPU frequency decrease.

If that's the case, you can try repasting/reseating your cooler, and/or cleaning it. If that doesn't solve it, you need a new cooler.

Solution

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Okay I used AMD overdrive and it shows that my CPU temp is 50-60 degrees while in game

TRENDING THREADS